The beetroot is the taproot portion of the beet plant, usually known in North America as the beet, also table beet, garden beet, red beet, or golden beet. Red beetroot is not only beautiful but also keep your skin healthy severity. It used mostly as salads. If regularly use, it increases the amount of hemoglobin in the body. Beetroot is a cool season vegetable. It is a fast-growing. This found in often dark red, white, or yellow bulbs in a different size. There are many species of beetroot, and they are biennial plants. It’s known for large root valve and large leaves, this plants survive cold and almost freezing temperature.
Many research shows beetroot is the most beneficial for the health. Regular use of beetroot it ensures energy and releases fatigue from the body. People use its juice after exercise to get relax.
Botanical name Beta vulgaris
Plant type vegetable
Sun full sun, part sun
Soil type loamy, Sandy
Soil ph neutral
Hardy zone 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- The best soil for 5.5 – 6 pH the best, which it continues to grow.
- The first 2-3 weeks from the previous spring beets sow.
- Good nutrients are required for the production of beets, for germination it requires high amount phosphorous. Due to the lake of phosphorous its bulb developed less.
- Plant seeds 1/ 1-2 inches deep and 2 inches apart in the row.
- After seeds keep the soil moist, so it’s germination well.
- The Early crop planted in March or April, and to take late crops June to September ever also.
- Soil temperature around 50 degrees may give better results.
- Beets cold crop possible in zone 9 or above.
Grow Beetroot in containers
If you want to grow beets in the container, it is very easy to grow and develop from seed.
Container: Beets are suitable for containers when choosing container depth is important, so that its roots are developed enough. Require at least 10 inches deep containers.
Soil: Beets prefer pebbles and sandy soil like other root plants. As other plants required Potting mix too early beets.
Fertilizer: Use potting mix at the beginning is enough for the development of the plant but soon after little development, you should use the N P K fertilizer. You can also use compost made at home.
Sunlight: minimum 8 hours sunlight requires.
Watering and feeding
Beets require water normally, due to the lake of water its root will be tough and become stunted.
- Keep the plants free from weeds to avoid competition for water and nutrients. For the good development of root keep the distance 3-4 inches between each plant.
- Maintain its moisture required much water.
- Beets should be planted in pebbles and sandy soil so that its roots can easily remove from the surface of the soil.
It can easily cultivate with onion, garlic or can be another crop, but do not cultivate with the beans or other shading plants.
- Beets become mature in 50 to 70 days. You can remove it at any time to see the growth. Mind you, the larger bulbs can be woody and tougher.
- Beets when harvesting up to 6 inches left, the top part of the green leaves are used as a vegetable and it is tastier and healthy.
- Fresh beets can be kept in the refrigerator for 6-7 days.
- Beets can be canned and it can be made pickles.
Pests and diseases
Not any major problem with pests. Check time to time boring insects can harm beetroots. Beets have no serious diseases.
What’s New and Beneficial About Beets?
- Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients . Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. The detox support provided by betalains includes support of some especially important Phase 2 detox steps involving glutathione. Although you can see these betalain pigments in other foods (like the stems of chard or rhubarb), the concentration of betalains in the peel and flesh of beets gives you an unexpectedly great opportunity for these health benefits.
- An estimated 10-15% of all U.S. adults experience beeturia (a reddening of the urine) after consumption of beets in every day amounts. While this phenomenon is not considered harmful in and of itself, it may be a possible indicator of the need for healthcare guidance in one particular set of circumstances involving problems with iron metabolism. Individuals with iron deficiency, iron excess or specific problems with iron metabolism are much more likely to experience beeturia than individuals with healthy iron metabolism. For this reason, if you experience beeturia and have any reason to suspect iron-related problems, we recommend a healthcare consultant to follow up on possible issues related to iron status… See more. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=49