The Easter Cactus (Raptisalidopsis) enhances the beauty of your garden with attractive bright colors, it gives you flowers abundantly from March to May. The flowers of the star of Easter cactus bloom with the sunrise and close at sunset, these flowers bloom for a few weeks. The holiday plants such as Christmas and Easter Cactus are Brazilian forest cactus hybrids, these plants bloom in a certain time of the year, due to which it is known by the holiday designation. These are unusual plants to decorate the house.
About Easter Cactus
Usually, Easter cactus plants bloom during purchase time and there are gifts for holiday days. The color of its flowers is usually white to red, orange, lavender and pink. After flowering, there is an interesting appeal in the plant, called this section, this section gives birth to a new development. There are no spines as the desert cactus, but there are soft nodes of the edges of leaves.
One possible theory is that it is difficult to hold the Easter cactus. But in some special situations, it can be recovered. However, depending on the principles given by nature bring, you can avoid frustration.
Scientific name Raptisalidopsis
Common name Easter Cactus or Holliday cactus
Plant type Succulent
Sun required Average sun
Soil Well-drained potting soil
Soil PH 6.0-7.0
Flower color White to red, orange, peach, lavender, pink
Blooming Time March and April
How to care Easter Cactus
- Always keep Easter cactus in a place where the bright and indirect light comes. According to me a sunny window may be a better place for this. You protect your plants from heat, air conditioners, open doors and more ventilated windows.
Avoid giving it a deep shadow and direct sunlight for a long time. Keeping it in deep shadow will reduce its growth and produce small flowers, while the color of the leaves will become red due to the sharp sunlight.
- Easter cactus grows very easily in USDA zone 9-12 areas and it is easy to plant it at home.
- Cactus requires high humidity, so water the plant every day. You can keep your plant in the humid room such as a kitchen or bathroom.
- If the potting surface of Easter cactus is dry, then give it water. Water deeply until the water from the lower surface of the container starts coming out. Water should be well drained out of the container, arrange good drainage. Remember, the potting mixture is neither completely dry nor soggy.
- Use 10-10-10 soluble fertilizer for your Easter cactus plant once a month, for this you add one tablespoonful fertilizer to a gallon water and feed it. Pour it into the plant’s potting mixer slowly.
- Easter cactus enters a dormant period in mid-September, at this time stop feeding it and reduce the amount of water. Place the plant in a dark room where the temperature is 55 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit. When the situation is normal, return the plant.
- Repot this plant every three to four years. An Easter cactus grows well when its roots are slightly crowded. While repoting, make the drainage hole well in the pot and fill with a commercial potting mixture for cacti.
If there is a 3-inch long segment in any of the planting areas, then you can use it for propagation. Plant the small ends of the segment in shallow, moist perlite, routing is possible in 3 to 4 weeks. Allow cutting within 48 hours.
Useful potting mixture for cacti
1 part sterile potting soil
2 parts peat moss
1 part builder’s sand or perlite
Pests and disease
Mealybugs and scale insects typically tend to bother in those plants that are growing inside the home, rather than the outside plants. Occasionally there is a problem of fungi, and if the plants are severely suffering then keep it out immediately. Use the pesticides used for succulent plants, be sure to read the instructions written before use.
- This plant is not toxic to people, cats or dogs.
It is a content written by the author and the quality can be unusually better worse. You can make us better aware of your suggestion or your experience. Content written on this blog is the responsibility of the author. There is no guarantee of the accuracy, completeness, truth, honesty, accuracy, reality and gentleness of the comments.