Zucchini or courgette is a summer squash, whose length is one meter. In the British Isles, a full-grown zucchini is referred to as a marrow. Zucchini plant needs to grow in full sunlight. With rich compost and moist soil, it grows well. The length of the plant about 2 feet (60 centimeters) occurs. The germination of the seed is ready in 1 week and crop 12 weeks. The plant is known for an abundance of zucchini harvesting.
It is very easy to cultivate in temperate climates. The mature fruit is eaten; some people also eat the flowers and leaves. To avoid excess Harvest the flowers, the flowers are sold expensively. But the flower is easy to store and transport. The male flower is born at the end of a stalk, which lasts until the end. Like other squash require bees for pollination.
Scientific name Cucurbita
Common name Zucchini
Plant type Vegetable
Sun requires Full sun
Soil type Loamy, well-drained
Temperature 70-degrees F
Growing Zucchini plant
- The temperature of 70 degrees F is best to plant zucchini, it is important to warm the soil and air. Keep in mind before you start sown ladder of zucchini seeds will not germinate in the cold, you cannot wait until the temperature reached 60 degrees F to be.
- If you want to develop seeds indoors, begin 2 to 4 weeks before the last spring frost. However, it is advisable to sow directly to squash. So the implant is not always successful. Its roots are very tender and transplant fear of being destroyed.
- If you want to start in early spring, completely cover the Soil from black polyethene, the soil should be warm.
- The soil at a depth of at least 2 to 3 should be 60 degrees warmer. Then peas, lettuce, and spinach crop can grow with. It’s growing after a week last spring until mid-summer season.
- To avoid vine borers and other Pests Sow some seeds in midsummer, which will get rid of these problems.
- Plant seeds one-inch deep soil cover, and traditional garden beds to apart in 2 to 3 feet.
- The shrub species is currently used in the summer, which you can put in the container. But come winter squash comes in the shape of the vine, which takes up considerable space. The expansion takes place from 8 to 12 Inches.
Soil and Location
- This plant is preferred well-drained, fertile soil, which has large amounts of compost.
- The seeds grow outdoors when the soil temperature should be 60 degrees F or above, planted about a week from the last frost.
- Zucchini plant consistently prefers moist soil. To prevent the disease from the water should be below the plant.
- When the seeds are seedling comes up, spray the plant with tea compost should be two weeks later. Spray again after 3 weeks or when the first flowers appear.
- The plants require full sunlight, it should be moist and well-drained, but should not wet. Squash plants are heavy feeders, so putting these plants needs rich soil. Add compost and organic matter to the soil and mix it.
Zucchini plant care
- This is a summer squash, home to the very popular. It is easy to turn on; it can be planted in containers. Once production has begun and zucchini, it becomes surprisingly fertile. Its seeds become mature quickly in 45 to 55 days, early fall for harvest seeds in August is appropriate. In fact, many experts believe that if it started in mid-July when the squash bug can escape the wrath of the specialties.
- Select well-drained soil for zucchini, choose a place where the sun comes fully. Put plant seeds 1 inch deep into the soil. If you are putting on a hill take 4 to 5 seeds, the seeds in rows and you are then put 2 to 3 seeds in each hole, 36 inches apart..
- If you’re over the hill planted zucchini 2 to 3 seeds per hill may not emerge until the seeds.
- Mulch around when they begin to emerge, so that remains moist. This is especially important in areas with dry heat.
- This plant requires a lot of water, so the plant at least 2 inches of water per week, please. A soaker hose is best because the water in the leaves of the plant is likely to mildew.
45 to 55 days in zucchini plants begin to flower. The large leaves are hidden under the small zucchini. Small squash is tender and tasty. If you break these fruits can cause long harvest. Zucchini squash is also quite large; so you take a sharp knife and cut it. Winter squash is dark green while the fruits of the harvest it. Fresh summer squash can be kept in the refrigerator for 10 days.
Zucchini pests and Disease
- Powdery mildew can be irritating to the plant; it causes spots on leaves, brown, and become dry.
- Cucumber beetles emerge from dormancy in the spring, before the temperature starts to overheat and begin to grow zucchini. When the zucchini starts fruiting and flowering cucumber beetle attacks on fruit and leaves. Remember if it was a sticky trap with stripes or spots.
- Irregular water and lack of calcium the plant is due to getting less water, the result at the end of flowering fruit eventually becoming leathery and sunken; it is called blossom-end rot.