How to grow canna flowers | Grow canna lily in pots easy tips
Written By: Sneha Date:01.03.2017
Canna are native to the New World, a genus of 10 species of flowering plants. These are grown in a container. Canna are tropical, sub-tropical and perennial plants. These perennial is a variety of colors. Its leaves are broad and flat, which is growing out of stem a long narrow exit Roll and then unwrap. These are in shades of green or bronze, leaves are a large territory and may widen or stripe pattern. Canna plant blooms in late spring or early summer.
Its flowers are usually red, orange, yellow or mixed colors depending on the variety. The leaf color is generally solid green, but some cannas leaf are a brown, red, or have various color. Cannas Flowers attract Hummingbirds. The dried flowers are used as medicine. Here is how to develop these tender beauties, Nature Bring are telling you.
Scientific name Canna x generalis
Plant type Flower
Sun Required Full
Soil Any, Loamy, Sandy, Clay
Soil pH 6.0-6.5
Bloom time Fall and Summer
Flower color Orange, Red, Yellow, White, Pink and mix
- These are exotic tropical plants, these plants require much sunlight. The fertile, moist soil is preferred.
- April is an excellent time to grow it. Starting from rhizomes and planting time, use multi-purpose compost. The rhizomes should have covered with compost. It is good for the development of a young plant.
- Rhizomes after covering slightly Water.
- Planting time temperatures should be 10 to 16 ° Celsius (50 to 60 ° F) of the greenhouse. This arrangement is not too late planting April. Increase water with evolution.
- Move it the plant in mid-April in the Cold greenhouse and planting it too late May.
- Plant about 75cm (30in) apart, keep the depth of 10 centimeters. Choose the sunny place for planting border. Be sure to dig the soil well before planting mix and compost.
Planting in a container:
- Canna grow very well in containers. 18-inch pot is better for it. choose dwarf species for pot. The plastic container is relatively good. Rhizomes big container of soil to break down fear.
- Loam-based compost to fill the container with the controlled release fertilizer mix. the planting of rhizomes as much depth as the border.
- Canna many trees you want, you divide the rhizomes of the summer before planting. To reduce the chance of infection Fungal divided rhizomes dry and leave it to heal. Make sure at least one node of each rhizome and the leaves will sprout.
- Choose the smaller species for pot, because of many cannas 7 to 8 feet long.
- Canna plants require full sunlight. Shadow affect plant growth. If we put the tree in the shade, the flowers blossoming influences.
- The plant constantly moist soil, soil pH 6.0- 6.5 is considered the best. If your garden soil is acidic, before planting add lime.
- Hold 18 to 24 inches of space between plants. If you are growing in a pot and a diameter of 18 inches Cannas better. Select a pot for rhizomes.
- Rhizomes in the soil at least 2 inches of soil cover.
- In the summer, mulch around the plants to keep damp use.
- Separate dead-heads regularly, which would encourage long-blooming plants.
Pests and diseases:
However, some diseases and pests that affect Cannas, but they do not require much treatment. Cannas rust is a fungus problem. Prevent it from spreading and cut the affecting leaves. Cannas leaf rollers and leaf caterpillars harm. Regularly spray insecticides during the growing season to rid them.