Coleus is an aromatic plant, which smells like camphor plant. The plants are usually small and can be developed indoor. This leaves yellow, green, violet, orange, red, attracts people from patterns. learn How to grow Coleus in a pot, Growing condition Coleus, Propagate Coleus by cutting, Coleus plant care in this article.
About coleus plant
Coleus was a genus of flowering plants in the family Lamiaceae. In recent classifications, the genus is no longer recognized, and the formerly included species are instead placed in the genera Plectranthus and Solenostemon. The plant’s leaves are colorful and decorative, it is also a well-known herb all over the world. The plant is grown as an indoor or outside the home.
This plant in many parts of the Asian country is used as food. In India, it cultivated in some areas and is used as pickles and fresh vegetables. Coleus leaves are used as a hallucinogenic drug in some places. Coleus is 65-70 centimeter tall perennial plant when they fully mature.
Botanical name Plectranthus scutellarioides
Common name Coleus
Plant type Flowering plants
Colors Yellow, green, violet, orange, red
Height 60–75 cm (24–30 in)
Soil well-drained soil
Temperature 65 to 90 degrees
Sun Full sun or shade
Growing condition Coleus
How to grow Coleus, its plantation method is very easy but it is important to know about the plant’s needs and care.
These plants prefer neutral to the slightly alkaline soil. If the soil is a little acid, then the much organic matter can be helpful for it.
Seed is sown
Modern coleus is hybrids, they can be propagated from the cutting. Its seeds can start in the garden about 8-10 weeks before the date of their last frost.
If you are growing them as a houseplant, then you can start it by seed at any time, though they continue to grow year-by-year.
All species of Plectranthus scutellarioides are not tolerant of frost. If the temperature for Garden Ponting is above 60 f, then do the planting otherwise you can wait.
Propagate Coleus by cutting
- Plants cutting to put it in plain water without any rooting hormone.
- By cutting as much as you can extend the plant.
- For new plants development take 2 to 4 inches cuttings.
- These stems cut clean slant, and remove all leaves lower side.
- Then cutting the Potting Mix (Soil, sand, and peat moss mixture) to a depth of at least 1 inch apart.
- Keep the soil moist, but do not add fertilizer. If development in the summer use shaded garden.
- Two to three weeks later when plants develop root well goes out, then transplant it.
How to grow Coleus plant indoor
- Many people grow coleus as annuity plant in pot or garden as plants tend to make the beds. full sun, partial shade, borders or are used to make garden beds. If you put it in small containers so it will seem to be small but, on the contrary, if it were to be transferred to larger containers or in the open garden, so it can be up to 2 feet tall.
The well-drained potting soil is applied in the container, the plant flourishes well in both pots and gardens. If you feel indoors, then continue to fertilize regularly. Place your pot in places where the right amount of sun comes. Feed your plant regularly during the growing season. Observe Coleus does not show its best color when most of it is remaining.
- There are two ways to develop coleus 1. You can grow from seed. II. You can propagate by cutting. However, the seeds are cheap and easy to obtain. If germinate from the seeds, seeds sprinkle on top of the soil generally and press them light soil. Seeds require light to germinate, so do not cover the seed.
- After the seeding in container cover with a plastic sheet, the seed will remain damp. The seeds will germinate within two weeks.
- You can also plant in a hanging basket, some people choose to apply it on the edge. Compact, type of bush can be used for attraction in the center. The coleus requires a lot of water, and the basket quickly gets dry. You can choose a self-water basket for best results. Read more.
- It also survives without fertilizer, but undesirable plant growth these plants require fertilizer. Organic fertilizer, nitrogen, and soluble fertilizer bring undesirable growth.
- If you want to shorten the compost plant to follow the rules. Pinch out from time to time to plant and plant growth will be lower, thereby decreasing fertilizer.
Coleus use a herb
If we talk of an annual plant It is not just about in flowers but leaves the matter to the top. This is a member of the mint family. This popular and are great for selection. The name comes from the compound forskolin which Coleus. Research shows compound forskolin was a very powerful herb. Such use cataracts, heart failure, and can be used to treat diseases like asthma.
Coleus plant care
- Long considered coleus shade plant, but the color of its leaves in the morning sun is the most accurate.
- Its much variety does survive well in partial shade and shade type.
- The perfectly moist soil is not good for it, the cause of the fall of the leaf and may encourage disease.
- When the soil temperature exceeds 60 degrees F, enter the plant regularly soluble fertilizer, especially when they are engaged in containers.
- To maintain the plant, flower pruning must prevent it from becoming a week.
Problem with Coleus plant
Rabbit is the biggest problem if it has been put in the outdoor. For this you need care in the early days of the season, later there are plenty of things to eat animals. There may be a problem of scale, whitefly, and mealybug in the plant growing indoors. Plants usually do not bother with any disease, due to more water or moisture, there may be mild diseases like mildew.
Read also: Plumeria growing and caring guide. Kohlrabi growing and care guide. Cantaloupe growing in containers. Anthurium plant Growing indoors. Mulberry tree growing at home. Growing Kiwi fruits in your garden. How to grow Gazania plants. Growing Celery in containers. How to grow and Bleeding Heart plants. Crossandra growing and caring guide. Ivy gourd growing tips. Cloves growing guide at home. Verbena Growing in pots. See also for the Ornamental Plants – Creeping Jenny