Learn How to Grow Litchi Tree in a container, Growing Litchi, Lychee Care, Harvesting Lychee tree and more about this plant. Litchi trees are evergreen and decorative. When its fruits mature, it is brown or red; the part of the fruit is white pulpy. Seed is found in this pulp, which is large in size and color is brown. The shape of the fruit of the litchi is round and the surface is rough, its diameter is approximately 1 to 1.5 inches. If this tree is planted in the outdoor, it can go up to a height of 30 to 40 feet. US Department of Agriculture zone 10 to 11, These are hardy. Lychee tree is suitable for the subtropical and tropical climate. However, some gardeners are now successfully producing in the greenhouse.
Various types of vitamins, minerals, and proteins are found in this fruit. Many studies show that eating Litchi’s fruit reduces the risk of cancer. Here are a few simple tips from Nature Bring, so you can easily develop it in the container.
Scientific name Litchi chinensis
Common name Litchi
Plant type Fruit
Sun required Full Sun
Soil Acidic to neutral Soil
Harvest time May-June
Soil pH 6.5
Growing Litchi tree
You can easily apply Lychee trees but be sure to know about its growing and caring tips.
Lychee trees prefer full sunlight. Protect the young plant from excessive sunlight, because they can be suffering from bright light suddenly. But mature trees yield excellent results in the sun. In the containers, the litchi trees grow very well, keep your containers in such a place where sunlight is coming from all around. Read more.
These trees prefer acidic to neutral soils and sandy soil; they do not like alkaline soil. So make the soil slightly acidic. For this, you can add pine bark fines or pine needles.
Lychee tree prefers adequate and regular water throughout the year. They do not have any natural rest during the winter. So there will be no benefit from closing water.
During the growing season use the litchi tree weak liquid fertilizer. Reduce fertilizer in the winter season. Litchi trees prefer adequate and regular water throughout the year. They do not have any natural rest during the winter. So there will be no benefit from closing water. The litchi tree in containers is not usually required for fertilizer. It is good to use organic fertilizers like kelp and fish emulsions.
Trim your container litchi
Once in a year, remove your litchi tree from your container, trim their roots. If you are shifting your lychee trees to a large container, then it will be better. It does not trim the roots than the root system will have trouble breathing and the tree will become unhealthy. This root system will not properly absorb water and nutrients. This tree passes natural rest during the winter on dormancy period.
If you want fruit in your Lychee tree, you need to pollinate the female flowers. However, honeybees do this pollination or done by other insects. But in Indoor trees, it is a problem, at that time you have to manually pollinate by your hands.
How to grow Litchi tree in containers
- After eating fresh litchi, wash its seeds well with water.
- Collect litchi seeds and soak them in water for three days, its seeds are very hard and germination takes time, so it is necessary to dip it in water. By soaking the seeds will split, and seed is ready for germination. Use seeding tray for germination, for germination Fill the seeding tray with Potting Mix, then add one litchi seed 2-3 inches deep in each cup. Cover the seedling tray with a plastic sheet, and keep it the warm sunshine window or in the greenhouse.
- Water regularly, so that the soil remains moist, after 3 to 4 weeks, it will release shoot 3 to 4 inches and develop deep green leaves.
- Lychee seed takes 4 weeks to develop, but sometimes it takes up to 6 weeks.
- Once the plant has matured, shift it to 3-gallon containers. Before filling the container, check that the drainage holes are properly or not. Then cover the gravel or the broken terracotta pot pieces on the surface of the container, and fill the pot with the potting mix and compost, put the seedling in the container.
- After about 1 year, when the plant gets mature then you place it in a container of 10 to 15 gallons so that its roots are not bound. Later you let it shift to a large container containing 25 gallons. For detailed information read eBay.
Propagation Air layering
Propagate litchi mainly by air layering. Separate a healthy branch with a small peel. Then stick a mixture of sticky sludge and chopped straw or dried leaves, then cover it from the top with a plastic sheet and bind them on both sides.
- You can choose such a place where the full sun, the litchi tree can tolerate light cold. Young plants should be protected from cold, high wind and heat.
- Water the litchi plant regularly.
- Give fertilizer a little over 4 years of the beginning of the litchi tree, suddenly more fertilizer can damage the plant because they are very sensitive.
- Keep it safe from frost and with cold winds.
Pests and diseases
The bark borers, litchi moth, and fruit flies are the main insects. You can use paper bags to prevent loss of fruit flies and litchi kites, it also protects fruits from sunburn and cracking.
Harvesting Lychee tree
The condition of maturity is most important because after selecting a matured fruit it cannot be developed, Therefore, let them mature well on the tree itself. If the litchi is cut quickly then its color is ugly and the taste is sour.
Read also: How to grow Onion in containers. How to grow Lemon Tree in containers. Growing and care Okra. Euphorbia milli Growing and caring tips. 8 Best Frugal Gardening tips. Growing Watermelon in containers. Pipper nirgum Growing and caring. Papaya growing in containers. Dahlia Growing and caring tips. Spring onion growing and caring.