How to grow Passion flowers | Easy tips by Nature Bring
Written by: Sneha Date: 06.04.2017
About Passion Flowers:
Passion Flowers has more than 400 tropical species. The flowers range from 1/2 inch to 6 inches according to species. These vines are found naturally from South America to Mexico. In the beginning, missionaries used this flower to teach the color and shape of this plant to Jesus, for this reason, it is known as Passion Flowers. Passion Flowers is a common plant, which is found anywhere in open grounds. These aromatic flowers are very beautiful to see. These flowers bloom from July to cold. It’s vine develops easily and lasts up to 15 feet. You can use trellis or fence to climb this vine. Below are a few simple tips Nature Bring, so you can grow it very easily.
Scientific name Passiflora incarnata
Common name Passionflower
plant type Flowering plant
Sun requires Partial Sun/ Full Sun
Soil Well-drained/ acidic
Soil pH 6.1 -7.5
Blooming time July -cold
There are usually 3 ways of developing any plant. 1. from seed 2 by cutting and 3 Air Leasing.
Passion Flower is the easiest plant by cutting. For this, you choose vine’s healthy branch, which is about 6 inches long, it is also important that you take a matured branch. Rooting powder on the surface of the stem, filled the potting mixture in the container, in which the compost and sand are added. After that plant healthy stem in the pot.
By air layering:
Air layering is also a good medium for its propagation. Especially when you do not need to grow cutting in a row. Just take the leaves of a stem section and then bury the stem in the soil. Place a stone or pin on the top to keep the stem under the soil. If you water the stem section well, then it will leave the root in two to three weeks.
Soak the seed in water for a few days. Then put them in acidic soil. Raise the pot and take it to a warm place. When it gets germinated, Then transplant something after getting mature.
Passion flowers grow indoor:
- If you live in an area where the cold is very tough. There is no need to worry about applying this vine. You can also put this vine inside the house. It requires a large size container and a bright sunlight window.
- Use the rich potting mix to apply the vines, keep the soil normally moist, but do not let it wet.
- After leaving the threat of cold, you keep vines outdoor, vines grow faster like wild vines.
- Cut down the vines to a normal length, when the fall comes and bring it back indoor.
Passion flowers care:
- Passion flowers are considered as Hardy in USDA zones 5-9, but if the severe cold is threatened then they should be put in safe places or use heavy mulch. Most of its variety grow forward in 7-10 zones.
- Passion flowers grow very easily, these vines require from partial shadows to full Sun. Vines grow well in well-drained soil.
- Since these are vines, they need support, you can use trellis or fence to support them.
- The acidic soil of these wines should be kept moist during the growing season, the moist soil is essential for the development of good flower and plant.
- Add a balanced fertilizer (10-5-20) at the beginning of spring. Repeat after 6 to 8 weeks.
- Passion Flowers should be planted at the beginning of spring.
- The Passiflora incarnata is a vine plant and it grows very fast. Therefore, pruning is required from time to time. Vine Prune has many reasons.
- After pruning, the old vine comes with new stimulation and the plant starts to grow, and it increases the blossoming.
- For the second year of the plant’s growth, people to prune the inactive plant.
- To control the plant and to expand the new branches, need to be pruned.
- The perfect time for passion flower prune is a late winter. At this time the plant does not grow much, so the pruning does not affect the plant’s growth. First sorting deadheads, and let them leave the highest buds in the branch. According to a general rule, the sorting of any plant should not exceed 33 percent, otherwise, it may die.
Pest and disease:
There are many diseases of passion flower. Which is the biggest problem caused by fungus. Cucumber mosaic-like viruses can also affect it. It usually grows due to cucumber beetles and aphids. Due to infected seeds, the virus can also spread to the plant. The affected plants appear in the leaves mosaic variegated. Stained growth and leaf deformation occurring. There is no other treatment than prevention, the infected plant should be removed immediately.