Petunia is flowering plants. Its approximately 35 species are known, they are native to South America. Petunias make the landscape of your garden attractive. It is easy to plant, it is used as a flower bed, and most gardeners do in container gardening. Nature Brings are explaining the easy method of plant and care of this.
Scientific name Petunia x atkinsiana
Common name Petunia
Plant type Flower
Sun required Full Sun
Soil Rich soil
Flower color Pink, White, Purple, Red, Yellow
Bloom time Spring, Summer, Fall
Petunias are the most popular flowering plant. it is seen in almost every garden. The plant is grown as annuals. Petunias in the sensitive zones are 9 to 11. Petunias are herbaceous, usually hairy. The flowers are funnel-shaped, and the petals are attached to. The fruits are dry capsules and several micro seeds in capsules.
Seeds can easily develop petunias plants. You grow this plant anywhere where the sun falls directly, whether you’re a patio, the terrace garden, hanging gardens it can be grown anywhere. Many people give beauty to the landscape, or a window or door, take a fascinating gateway to the Garden. Flower shape and the habit of moving is divided into four different varieties.
Grandiflora Petunias are the most popular; the flowers grow 3 to 4 Inches. These flowers are either single or double Ruffly occur. Due to the trend in the abundance of bloom are the most suitable for the container and hanging basket. But outside the plant, upright mound 15 inches long, are developed in the summer.
These flowers are relatively more compact. Grandiflora are smaller than. Forms are available in single or double flowers in Grandiflora, but a huge majority are Singles. When a big splash in the garden they together.
These are small plants. The small flowers are 1 inch or 1.5-inch diameter. These plants produce abundant flower is spreading. These are the perfect plants to create garden edging. They can put in containers mixed with other annual plants.
The plant height is 6 inches. But it spreads very rapidly, and in a short time, it takes to cover the whole ground. These petunias require regular watering and fertilizer. The plant is perfect for hillside gardening. This is suitable for box gardening and hanging baskets.http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/flowers/growing-petunias/
- Petunias by the seeds you can grow, the more developed it is easier to implant.
- Petunias by the seeds you want to start 10 to 12 weeks before the start of early spring. In the northern climate, you can apply in March.
- Plant seeds are very small and require more light for germination.
- When comes the three leaves of the plant then water, and it can be plantation outside.
- If you transplant purchased the plant, keep the plant in well-drained soil, after the last spring frost in full sunlight.
- This flower can tolerate partial shade, but you will get fewer flowers, these plants open air is even better.
- Should be 1 foot of space apart the plants.
- If you’re going to grow it in the container you use a soil-less mix. The soilless mix is a mixture of peat moss, coir, compost, and sand.
- Petunias plant prefers direct sunlight. It is absolutely necessary for the blooming flowers.
- Plants require 5 to 6 hours regular sunlight. Though they tolerate shade, they seem to have fewer flowers.
- Petunias are hardy for especially drought-tolerant, but you take good care of the flowers bloom in greater amounts. Check the soil in the container to her every day. When soak the soil well and then allow the soil dry before re-entering the water. If the soil is moister, so should not water it may cause many problems, including rot and mildew, will be. Watering the base of the Plant so as to keep leaves dry to prevent moisture
- After a week gave a water-soluble fertilizer to your Petunias, it increases the power of bloom. When using fertilizer must read the instructions given by the manufacturer.
- Always cut flowers and use it for decoration, as cutting the flowers that encourage blooms.
- Immediate removal as soon as the flowers fade, this is the beginning of wilt. Prevent plant from developing premature seeds. This not only encourages but also long-blooming flowers looks fresh, healthy and ready.
- 4 to 6 inches cutting petunias when the plant is in bloom for a long time, or feeling tired. It will be good in mid-summer. After pruning the plant must fertilize.
They prefer rich soil, loose soil that drains well. However, they tolerate poor soil. Add normal fertilizer a planting time, and again a month after planting.
Users always balance fertilizer (8-8-8 or 10-10-10) for Petunias plant. When the weather is change (in early July), use liquid fertilizer. Do you do this every three weeks; it will help the plant to bloom.
Pests and diseases:
If Petunias puckers leaves turn yellow, then to check for aphids. The soft and tender pear-shaped body, they cluster and new dark blue stems, they suck juices from new petunias. However, it goes away from the spray of insecticidal soap. Occasionally it is damaged by caterpillars, petunia is also affected by leaf spots or viruses.