Pumpkin is a plant that everybody wants that once it is planted in the garden. Its round shape and ribbed skin, yellow and orange color are to attract people with unmatched and big fruit. It is wrong to think that this requires a bigger space. Autumn is really the best fit to put in the container.
It is easy to start with pumpkin seeds, if you want to grow from seeds, then you will dig about 1 inches deep and cover the soil with light hands. Observe the temperature of the soil is at above 18 degree Celsius. A dwarf variety of pumpkin is easy to plant in the container, its care is also less than other vegetables. It is perennial in tropical regions and as an annual in the temperate zone and friendly to any climate. Actually, its decorative sunny flowers and many delicious and nutritious fruits encourage you to grow. How are you developing it in a container? Nature Bring is giving you information.
Botanical name Cucurbita pepo
Common name Pumpkin
Plant type Vegetable
Sun Full Sun
Soil Any soil
Soil pH 6.0-7.2
Pumpkin plant in a container
- To start the pumpkin veggie, first select the best quality and the seedless seed. You can get it from a nearby nursery or seed shop. The development of pumpkin is not dependent on the monsoon, it depends on the temperature. At the time of planting it requires temperatures of 18 degree Celsius (65 degrees F) or above.
- There are many species of pumpkin. Choose small species of pumpkin for the container. For this 10-gallon size, the container is suitable. For most varieties, the size of 15 to 20 gallons is most correct. You should stick to the rule of the thumb – Container should be 20 to 24 inches in depth and width. The development of the plant in the container depends on its drainage hole. You can choose the dwarf variety for your container. If you have a big place in a garden or a patio, it’s very species are available.
- Their plants require full sun. Better sunlight fosters its flavor and nutrients. Since these plants prefer sunlight, do not keep these plants in the shade. Its plant needs sunlight for at least 6 hours. Pumpkin needs enough sunlight and air circulation to grow brilliant flowers and fruits.
- Use Rich well-drained soil for growing pumpkins. In cold climate use soil which is heating up early. All the varieties should be put in the potting mix which contains the amount of organic manure. The container should have a good drainage system. The plant does not need acidic soil. It is best for a 6.0 to 7.2 pH balanced soil.
- For maximum size and quality of fruits, it requires water with “fountain”.
These plants are very thirsty, so they require a lot of water. Give it about 1-inch water especially during the fruit production. Give water carefully, keep fruit and leaves remain dry, otherwise, the possibility of rot in the plant. Add mulch around the plant to keep moisture in it.
Fertilize your Pumpkin
You mix a slow release fertilizer with your potting mix, use liquid fertilizer every two weeks during the growing season. If there is a problem with liquid fertilizer, then the slow-release fertilizer can also be scratched by drying the topsoil. Be careful that pumpkin does not require too much nitrogen.
Need pollinators to Pumpkin
It is clear that there are not enough bees and pollinators in many places, for this, you can use hand pollination or plant flowers near pumpkin to attract pollinators.
Need lattice to Pumpkin
Pumpkin vines do not bend one side, support the lattice for it. If the ground is wet, use the lattice to protect the fruit from rotting.
Pumpkin Pests and disease
- If the surface of the white powder is deposited on the leaves, then it is the characteristics of Powdery Mildew. For this, moist the soil and increase the cooler places.
- Vegetarian crops fall short of transplantation, it is usually a problem in wet conditions, and the plant gets damaged. The mold usually enters through a wound, and it also infects a healthy plant. Fuzzy gray mold begins to affect buds, leaves, flowers, and fruits. And finally, the infected plant dies. Sow thinly, when the situation is hot to avoid them. Hygiene is very important in preventing the spread of gray mold.
- Squash worms and cucumber beetles usually damage it, especially in the summer.
When the fruits appear mature and the colors appear perfect on the plant and remove it before the first cold falls.