Learn How to Grow Radish, Growing Radishes from seed, how to grow radishes in pots, Radish Care, and more about this root vegetable. Radish crop is planted in spring and fall. But it should not be in heat. You can grow very easily. Here are some easy tips to grow radish continue nature bring if you desire it in your patio or container can also.
Radish is an edible root food, which is the Brassicaceae family. There are several varieties, its size, color and taste are different, it is a popular vegetable plant, its root is eaten. It is a hardy cool-season vegetable, and develops very quickly and become mature in about 20 -22 days, that is due to its many crops are taken.
Radishes were born probably in China. It is Japan’s leading food. The worldwide consumption is considerable, most people use it as a crunchy salad or vegetable.
Scientific name Raphanus sativus
Common name Radish
Plant type Vegetable
Sun Required Full Sun
Soil Sandy, loam
Soil pH 6.5-7.0
Temperature 65-85° F (18 -29 degrees C)
Growing Radishes from seed
- It is a fast-growing cool season crop. These root vegetables grow in any type of soil. For fast-growing radishes Dig soil 6 inches deep, and slow-growing radishes to dig soil 2 feet deep.
- The seed germination takes three to four days, during which the situation of the soil should be moist.
- They prefer loam sandy soil and full sunlight with Soil pH 6.5 -7.0 is the best. Loam is ideal for late-season crops.
- Hot weather radishes you should plant in autumn.
- The seed planting depth of 1/2 inch and 1 inch apart.
- Crop thinning to control weeds during the growing season and water may be required.
- You can plant it in the fall season. Than any other root, vegetable radish can crop in early fall or summer.
- keep in mind that When you sow the radish seeds, long radish varieties tolerate heat rather than the smaller varieties.
How to grow radish
Soil and location
As soon as the soil becomes fit to work in the spring, you can sow radish. For this, choose a place where the full sun comes, for a plant it is necessary to have at least six hours of sun. With soil pH being 6.8 to 7.0, you can get the best output. Well-drained soil is better for it. Dig up to a depth of at least eight inches till the soil loose. To plant the seed, spaced three inches apart and place the seed at a depth of about 1/2 inches, and cover the seeds with mild soil.
You do not need to put it in the entire garden, you can sow these vegetables in other places with other vegetables. Often people sow this fast-growing radish in the slow-growing carrots, parsley, and beetroot beds. Roots can be harvested faster than needed by other vegetables. Read more.
The best temperature is 65 to 85 ° F (18 -29 degrees C). 65 ° F you can get a good quality crop. It takes 22 days to mature harvest, but in cold weather, it may take 6 to 7 weeks.
- When you prepare the soil to avoid fresh manure, organic materials, and high nitrogen fertilizer etc. Rich soil helps make lush foliage and crunchy radishes roots.
- When planting radishes approximately 2.5 cm / 1 inch apart should be thin, it is not necessary to summer variety radish crops, Winter variety should be thinned to 15 cm (6 inches) apart.
- Mulch around radish, rich compost, and wood ash Maintain moisture. Not just saving it from insects, but also keeps in moisture. Soil Moist has ensured the growth of fruits.
- Give water sparingly, but water should be not less, because of the lack of water radishes will bolt and taste it too pungent. If too wet, so remain root will rot.
- Hence the radish crop matures quickly. you can sow radishes between the rows in ‘catch crop’ such as peas and potatoes. You can easily get from the main crop.
How to grow Radishes in a container
- The radish grow very easily in the container, it requires a comprehensive gallon pot and rich and well-drained soil. You can use a vegetable starter mixture to apply in the container, you can then modify the growing medium by mixing compost, peat, and sand.
- When the radish seeds sprout and the root growth starts, then use vegetable fertilizer before transplanting it according to the instructions on the packet.
- Before planting, check if there is a proper teasing for the drainage in the container.
- For this, use unglazed pot, it encourages the evaporation of excessive moisture.
- If you use a saucer under the pot, make sure it is not constantly filled with water. Read more.
- Radishes well with constant humidity like dry soil. Keep soil always moist, but should not be waterlogged.
- Thin radish 1 inch apart, it surprises you when it will be 1 week old.
Problem with Radishes
The worst attack on the radish is the Root Maggot, but it can easily get rid of this insect by making proper crop rotation. If you find lots of wood ashes in the soil, then the Maggots will not see any problem.
Snails and Slugs like radish taste. Yates Blitzem some radishes, to get rid scattering around the garden bed. Caterpillars and aphids also prefer to eat a radish. If the holes in the leaves due to caterpillars and the leaves curling the reason is aphids. In 7-14 days spraying insecticides, you will get eliminated.
- Some varieties are very fast maturing radishes, which have to harvest within 3 weeks.
- After maturing for a long time not leave them on the ground, otherwise, the situation will be worse.
- Store cut the tops off radishes and wash well.
Read also: How to Grow Potatoes in containers. How to grow your own Christmas tree. Growing and caring Pointed gourd. Growing Impatiens plants in containers. Hostas growing and caring indoors. Cornflowersgrowing and caring tips. Kohlrabi planting and care guide. Ridge gourd growing and care tips. Starts to produce pineapple in pots. Sweet corn growing in containers.