How to grow vegetables in pot | Nature Bring
Growing vegetables in containers are possible but there are some that grow easily and produce heavily in containers. The productivity of a small garden also improves when you utilize the vertical space. Using a trellis to provide support to trailing plants and vines always helps.
1. Tomatoes– Without a doubt, tomatoes are the most productive vegetables you can grow in containers. Tomatoes need sun (5-6 hours minimum). The pot size depends on the type of tomatoes you are growing. In containers, growing dwarf varieties of determinate type are best.
2. Beans– Most of the beans are climbers or bushier type and they grow upward. They are productive in pots and are easy to grow. Bush green beans do well in containers as small as 8″ deep and 8″ wide per plant. For growing beans, you need a sunny place. Since beans fix the nitrogen most of the vegetables that require more nitrogen are good to grow underneath them. Pole beans are more productive over the long run than bush beans (which produce their crop all at once). Train the 6- to 8-ft.-tall vines on a trellis or tepee made from bamboo poles.
3. Lettuce– Growing lettuce is so easy, takes up little space, and you can even grow it among flowers. Lettuce grows for many weeks in the mild weather of spring and fall. Leaf lettuce is easy to tuck in between and under taller vegetables and is perfect for containers. lettuce is a cool season crop, you’ll have to decide what is the right time for its growth according to your climate, usually, seeds are started in spring. But if you live in a warm climate, grow lettuce in winter. Although lettuce grows fastest in full sun, it is one of the few vegetables that tolerates some shade.Use well draining soil and do shallow and frequent watering to keep the soil slightly moist always.
4. Peppers and Chillies– Peppers and chilies are super productive and excellent candidates for growing in containers. They look great in pots and need a warm and sunny place to thrive. If you keep the pot in a sunny spot and provide right soil and fertilize the plant time to time it will fruit heavily. Peppers and chillies do well in containers large 12″ deep pot are optimum.
5. Radishes– Radishes are one of the quickest growing vegetables it small root crop belonging to the Brassicaceae family. Growing in many different shapes, colors, and sizes, radishes are a popular crop around the globe. It is suitable for container vegetable gardening as you can also grow them in small and wide pots. A pot that is just 6 inches deep is enough.
6. Spinach– Spinach is one of the best vegetables for containers. It grows well in partial shade and in any kind of space. Growing spinach in containers is easy too you can even grow it indoors on a windowsill. For growing spinach in pots, choose a pot that is least 6-8 inches deep. You don’t need a very deep pot rather use a wide one.
7. Peas– Peas are the perfect vegetable to grow in container gardens. They grow quickly and don’t need much attention. They do need full sunlight and the soil needs to be kept moist. Peas prefer cool conditions, so plant them early in the season You can even grow peas on a balcony. Choose a dwarf or bushier type varieties and do regular and frequent watering as peas prefer slightly. Keep the plants in a spot that receives full sun to part sun (especially in warm climates).
8. Carrots– Carrots grow best in cool weather. Carrot plants need regular watering, otherwise, the roots dry out and crack. Growing this plant in containers is easy and it doesn’t take much space too.
9. Cucumber– Cucumbers are relatively large plants, taking up a lot of space with their vines and large leaves, but it is possible to grow these in plant containers in your balcony. Choose a large container (at least 20 inches deep and 20 inches in diameter), and in full sun. Cucumbers are heavy feeders and require regular watering too. You can have your homegrown successful crunchy cucumbers within a few months.
10. Eggplant– Growing eggplant from seeds in a pot or container can be very easy. Every two seeds should be planted in one pot. They are heat-loving plants and need high temperatures both day and night, thus a suitable summer crop. But if you live in a warm climate you can grow it year round.Also, it is easier to maintain them in containers than in a large vegetable garden. It is necessary that you keep the pots in a full sun and feed heavily