Learn How to grow cucumber in a container in your home, growing cucumber, cucumber varieties, and Health Benefits and more about this plant. Cucumber is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family. It is a creeping vine that bears cylindrical fruits that are used as culinary vegetables.
There are three main varieties 1. slicing 2. pickling, and 3. burpless. Cucumbers are usually more than 90% water. It is easy to grow. Under the different types of climate in the world, cucumbers are cultivated. The fruit is dark green in color and crispy. The flesh has rich moisture with small seeds near its core. It has low calorie contain as many as nutritional benefits including hydrating properties.
You can grow it in your patio or garden with a little care. This is the fabulous harvest of spring. Every people may use it as a salad at home. This plant requires water continuously. If the amount of watering is low the bed affect the yield. Before planting of cucumber, you can take the soil mix with organic compost, of course, cucumbers plant will not require fertilizer again. When the cucumber flowers and fruit to be the beginning to give it water-soluble fertilizers can produce better. Read more.
The following two things always you remember
- To always produce cucumbers keep moist will increase production.
- Always produce cucumbers in Vertical gardens scheme to increases yields, because the cucumber is equipped with vine will help to develop it. Additionally, you will find clean fruit that will come above the ground.
These plants need warm, fertile soil with a pH of 0.6 to 6.8, although they will tolerate a bit more alkaline soil to 7.6. Work compost or composted manure into the soil. Plant seedlings 36 to 60 inches apart, depending on variety.
How to grow cucumber in a container
- It is very easy to grow in the container. If you live in a cold environment then you can start them indoors. But it requires enough light.
- Start its seeds in late May. Fill the container with growing medium and transplant the indoor plant.
- 10 to the 12-inch container is sufficient. Its plants prefer moisture, so keep the compost normally moist.
- Its seeds are tall and therefore should be planted to 1/2 to 1-inch depth.
- There is a need to water carefully after planting.
- This requires support so train the main stem up, use vertically wired or cane for support.
- Keep the humidity high by watering. After planting, the balanced liquid fertilizers feed every two weeks. Read more.
Main varieties of cucumber
- Bush variety It grows in half the compact and bush form
- Vining variety They grow in long vines that move on the ground or on some support.
We are discussing some easy and fast-growing varieties.
It is parthenocarpic, which produces fruit naturally or artificially without the fertilization of the ovary, the fruits that come in it will be seedless. It takes about 58 days to mature.
Its fruits are yellow and small. The fruit taste is sweet and comes round. It takes approximately 65 days to mature.
This is also a small and sweet fruit. It quickly ripens and takes about 48 days to mature.
Pests and Diseases
The major insects that attack the cucumbers cucumber beetles, aphids and spider mites seek damages. These diseases most losses stem from a plant. The cucumber beetles can damage the plant.
Powdery mildew: On the surface of the leaf white powder appears. And its leaves become undeveloped and shrinking and carry the disease to other plants.
This food is low in Saturated Fat and very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin A, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Potassium.
Like other vegetables when cucumber is young it will be ready for delicious food. This time is proper for harvesting. That will deserve for salad. Harvest the fruit early in the morning before the sun. The help of knife you cut the fruits easily and save damage to vines. When the top of the fruit is yellow you should immediately separate because the different taste is such fruit and seeds falls in it. Read more.
Health benefits cucumber
- It is a perfect food to have on hand during the hot summer months to prevent s abdomen problem.
- Cucumber has a cooling and soothing effect that decreases swelling, irritation, and inflammation.
- Its cure diabetes and controls cholesterol from our body. Cucumber has low-calorie content.
- It helps to increase the strength of tissue and reduce the joint pain.
- Its cure hangover and headache.
Read also: How to grow Potato in a container. Growing cauliflower in containers. Christmas Cactus growing and caring. Spring onion growing and caring. Hibiscus Flower growing and caring. Growing Petuniasin the container. 7 splendid Climbing Plants. 8 Mosquito Repellent plants. Container gardening.