Learn Growing information Eggplant, How to grow Eggplant in a pot, Health Benefits of eggplant, Varieties eggplant, Pests and diseases eggplant and whole growing information about this plant. In tropical and subtropical climates, we can sow eggplant directly in the garden. Aubergine grown in temperate climates fares better when transplanted into the garden after all danger of frost is passed. There are a number of varieties used throughout the world.
Eggplant Common names
The eggplant is a member of the nightshade family. There are many varieties of eggplant- the common name in North American and Australian English. However, British English uses the word “aubergine” for it and in Wikipedia South Asia, South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore, and West Indies, Trinidad, it is called brinjal.
It is available around the year in many varieties but its peak season is during August and September. In this plant, flower color is violet and white with yellow stem. The fruit of this plant is egg-shaped with glossy purple color and its inner part has a white color. When we cut the outer surface the inner flesh rapidly turns brown. Here Nature Bring tells you a few simple ways to how to grow eggplant.
Scientific name Solanum melongena
Common name Eggplant, Brinjal, aubergine
Plant type Vegetable
Sun required Full Sun
Soil Well-drained, sandy and loamy soil
Soil PH 5.5-7.2
How to grow Eggplant in a pot
- We can grow eggplant seeds indoors and later you can shift in your courtyard or in a container. There are some early growing species which is used in areas where the climate is cold.
- First, you grow the plant seeds inside a house. It is germinated on 7-14 days for which bottom heating is essential. Seeds slipcover with a mix of very light soil. When watering, don’t wash away the seeds. Then leave it for 2 months. Your plant is ready, or you may bring from the nursery. Natural light in-house or greenhouse is sufficient for germinating.
- Place 3 to 4 inches taller plants and planting 24-30 inches apart in well-finished beds in your yard.
- When you put in a container mind it the container is large and should be full of soil. You can take potting mix (1 part of the soil, 1 part of organic fertilizer and 1 part of peat moss) You can choose of different pots, but clay pots are better. Make drainage hole in the bottom of clay pot. After planting the eggplant you can put the container outside in full sun.
Growing information eggplant
Location and Soil
Aubergine likes well-drained, sandy and loamy soil very well, choose the soil that has pH levels ranging from 5.5 to 7.2. Before planting, loosen the soil to 8 to 10 inches, mix organic compost well in soil, if possible, lay a 2 to 3-inch layer. These plants prefer the presence of the full sun, it requires sunlight for at least 6 hours for good production.
Eggplant is sensitive to cold. The temperature of the day is between 80 and 90 degrees F and night temperature between 70 to 80 degree F, so it grows best.
Aubergine have to supply compost continuously. Based on the results obtained from a soil test, its supply is best. Apply half fertilizer before planting and the first half of the fruit will appear.
Eggplants need water at least 1 inch continuously per week. Continuous water extends shallow roots. Keep demand during the dry season and the type of soil accordingly. As the heat, high winds, and sandy soil increase the water requirements.
Eggplants prefer moisture much more and mulching keeps warmth and moisture in the soil. Mulching around the plant helps control the weed. If weeds are high, then you can clean it with your hand.
There are many varieties of eggplant which are spherical, tall, thin, small round, Japanese pickling eggplant; And traditional big ‘black belle’ etc.
- Black Bell
- Black magic
- Florida High Bush
- Florida Market
- Night Shadow
- Thai eggplant
Pests and diseases eggplant
In this plant, insects are a big challenge, flea beetles chew the leaves and make many small holes, they are the worst pests of the plant. To avoid this problem, put the plant inside the house for the initial warming or cover outdoor plants with floating row covers. If your plant is suffering, then spray Beauveriabassiana or spinosad.
Yellow-and-black-striped Colorado, which is potato beetles its egg under the leaves, need to be destroyed. Remove the tomato hornworms and green caterpillars by hand and separate them. Due to lack of water or moisture, the shape of the fruit becomes Crooked. Verticillium wilt and powdery mildew also affect the plant.
Health benefits of Eggplant
Besides vitamins and minerals, eggplant also contains important phytonutrients. These phytonutrients include phenolic compounds, such caffeic, and chlorogenic acid, and flavonoids, such as nasunin.
- The fruit of reduces the blood cholesterol and body weight is rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, which supports heart health.
- Fruit contains polyphenol that helps reduce cancer.
- Regular consumption of Aubergine helps prevent blood clot-thanks to vitamin K and bioflavonoid that strength capillaries.
- This is low in calories with just 35 per cup. It contains no fat and its fiber content can help you feel full.
- The fruits are wonderful sources of phytonutrient, which have long been known as boosters for cognitive activity and general mental health.
- Eggplants defend against the free radical activity and keep your body and brain safe from toxins and diseases, but they also increase blood flow to the brain.
- The qualities of Brinjal make it useful as a regulator of glucose and insulin activity within the body