Longan fruit tree
Longan tree fruit (democropuslongen locker), also known as dragon eyes, longan and mamoncillo chino, which is sweet in taste. It is a tropical fruit tree, whose fruit is oval in which there is a shiny seed inside the musky white fruit. It is believed that it originated in the region between India and Burma or China. Learn Growing Longan tree in a container, How to grow Longan fruit tree, Longan tree Care, Pests and disease longan tree and many more about this plant.
In India, it is known as Pichu. This will grow easily in U.S. Department of Agriculture hardiness zone 8 to 10, which prefer cold, dry winters. It is now produced in many places in the world. Longan tree is like a litchi tree, which goes up to a height of around 15 feet. However, the height of its dwarf tree is smaller and easily planted in the container.
How to grow Longan fruit tree
Location and soil
To plant this tree, choose the driest and warm area of the garden, where well -drainage and do not stay wet for a long time because this tree is not suitable for wet soil and water-accumulating place. The tree may die due to continuous wet conditions. Longan trees prefer a variety of soils, besides sandy loam clay, calcareous and rocky soil, which are well drained,
Logan young trees prefer moist soil. When flowers begin in these trees it requires water on a regular basis, when they bear fruits. Established trees should be given water regularly during flowering and fruit. During flowering, there may be a decrease in pollination when it rains.
These trees can be given organic and inorganic fertilizers during the immature phase.
Apply compost made from cow dung 3 to 4 times a year. Feed this tree in a balanced fertilizer such as 6: 6: 6 or 15:15: 15 and after adding fertilizer, water well after applies. After 1 month in the first year of planting, feed the balanced fertilizer 5-5-5 in every 2 months. Do not feed your trees during cold weather, especially nitrogen-rich fertilizers. During this, the growth rate of the plant is high and it will encourage the growth of the plant and the flowers will get reduced in the spring. Use liquid fertilizer during warm weather. Read more.
Growing Longan tree in a container
- Longan trees are propagated by fresh fruit seeds, although they do not produce fruits like the parent tree. Seedlings take approximately 6 years to produce fruit. It is better that you have an air-layered tree or grafted trees brought from the nursery, they start producing fruits in about 3 years.
- How to grow Longan tree in a container
- Roll fresh fruit seeds in paper towels, then seal it in a plastic bag and keep it in a hot place for about two weeks.
- When the seed gets germinated, fill it in a pot with potting mix, compost and perlite mixture and keep the mixture in about 1-inch depth.
- Sprinkle the peat moss and perlite mixture and leave overnight, then fill it in an alternate pot and plant a seed per inch in depth.
- Cover this pot with a plastic sheet. Then place this pot in a warm and bright light place.
- If propagates use mat, keep the temperature at 80 degrees F.
- When the roots began to appear in the plant, remove the plastic sheet. Transfer the plant to a little mature. Read more.
Longan tree Care
- Place the tree at least 20 feet away from buildings. Where it can be found the complete sun The soil should be dry and slightly acid.
- Cut down on the water during the winter, just before the tree blossoms in the spring, and before harvesting the fruit in the late summer, give organic fertilizer to the tree.
- Do not fertilize trees during fall and winter.
- Keep the area around the Longan tree free of grass and weed.
- Apply a layer of bark, wood chips or similar mulch material of 10 centimeters, spreading to the drip-line, it will protect the trunk from rot and will keep the soil moist and weed free. Read more.
Pests and disease longan fruit tree
The most common insect on the tree is the live web warm, there are many other insects, which make it bother. Litchi web warm which attacks emerging shoots and panels, flowers and young fruits, and if not given attention, it reduces crop yield. Scales insects and barnacle are its other common insects, which attack the tall tree. Bats or flying foxes eat its fruit, to protect, the tree can be latticed around.
Langan trees are free from the problem of major diseases. In high humidity, hot and rainy season it can lead to red alga disease, which causes damage to barks and leaves. Leaves and stem die when the infection is high.
Before you see fruits, make sure the fruits are ripped. Let the fruits turn into a light brown color. Wait for when the fruit size is 2 cm or greater. You can taste the fruit before the harvest. Be careful while harvesting fruits, do not cut leaves and wood with fruit panels, otherwise, the flowers will come down in the next season. After taking the fruits, you can keep in the refrigerator in plastic bags for 5-7 days.
Thank you and happy gardening.