How to make Classic Indian Dessert Gulab Jamun
Written by: Sneha Date: 17/10/2017
It is the season of Indian festivals, in such a way that Gulab Jamun cannot be done in the house. But there are many people who bring it home from the restaurant, it’s hard to make them a Gulab Jamun. But do you know, making this famous Dessert or sweet dish is eaten in India is very easy, just to be a little passion and confidence in you? Initially, when I started making Gulab Jamuns, then it was scattered in the pan, and after putting it in sugar syrup, it became stiff, but after several attempts, I succeeded in it. But now you are sharing Nature Bring an easy method that you can make it at home.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Cuisine Noth Indian
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun:
- Evaporated Milk (Khoya ) 250 grams
- Cardamom powder 1 Tsp
- Baking soda 1/4 tsp
- Fine flour (Maida) 1 cup
- Saffron a pinch
- Ghee or oil 3 cups
- Semolina flour (Suji or Rawa) 2 Tsp
- Cashew nuts 8-10 pieces
Ingredients for Sugar Syrup (Chashni):
- Sugar 4 cups
- Water 4 cups
- Rosewater (Gulab Jal) 1tsp
- Cardamom powder 1tsp (Optional)
*Instead of cardamom powder you can use green small cardamom even by grinding it.
* In the beginning, you should make a small amount of Gulab jamun for the experiment, for this, you have to reduce all the material to half.
Making Sugar Syrup (Chashni)
- Heat 4 cups of water in a pan, then add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron according to the amount written above.
- Keep stirring this mixture. Until the mixture becomes slightly thicker.
- Keep stirring it until the wire starts forming in the syrup.
- Mix the water in the syrup and put it aside in a vessel.
*To see whether the wire is formed in the syrup, stretch it by keeping the syrup between your thumb and the index.
Making Gulab Jamuns
- Take the khoya (Evaporated Milk) in the amount given above in a bowl and grate it well. Then add 1 cup fine flour (Maida) and a pinch of baking soda, cardamom powder and 2 tsp Semolina flour (Suji). Mash the mixture well with the hand. The better the mixture will mash, the Gulab Jamun will become as soft.
- Fine flour (Maida) is easily mixed in the loss due to moisture. Tuck this whole mixture into flour like a dough. Add some spoonful milk to it, so that it becomes soft and easy to mix.
- Put the mixture in a bowl. Now, take this khoya dough a bit and flatten it in your hands, add some pieces of cashew nuts in it, then make round balls with the help of both palms. Similarly, make all the balls.
- Heat the ghee in the pan, first put a ball in it, if Gulab Jamun is bursting on the ghee, then add little fine flour to the khoya mixture.
*It would be better to test it before making all the balls, otherwise you will have to make balls again.
- If all is right then put some balls in hot ghee. Fry these balls till brown. Turn them around so that it fries well around it. Keep in mind, it is fried in medium flame, otherwise, it will remain raw.
- Instead of frying all the balls together, you put some balls and place it in a soaked paper, so that extra oil can be removed. Then put these balls in a light, warm sugar syrup. Similarly, put entire balls in the sugar syrup.
- Let it remain in the syrup for one to two hours, so that the balls will drink well the syrup. Balls of drowning in the syrup will become larger and soft. Indian Dessert Gulab Jamun is ready to serve you hot.