Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is a species of Petroselinum. This is the most popular culinary herb plant, it was originally cultivated in Algeria, Greece, and Italy. Petroselinum crispum is widely used as an herb, spice, and vegetable, and is cultivated twice a year. Some people use it in soups and pilaw, it is used as a medicine and to enhance the taste of the plate.
Scientific name Petroselinum crispum
Common name Parsley, Garden parsley, Rock parsley, and Petersylinge
Plants type Herb
Sun Full Sun, part Sun
Soil pH 6.0-7.0
USDA Zone 4-9
The parsley has two types of leaf curly and flat-leaf. The curly leaf is used as a herb and also use a decoration on your food. Parsley is a source of the largest nutrient and antioxidants. Parsley has excellent properties of Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A.
Two types of parsley are most popular, 1. curly leaves and 2. flat-leaf. Curly leaf parsley has a mild taste and crinkly texture that people use in salads. Flat-leaf parsley is called Italian parsley, has a unique taste and is used in the kitchen.
How to Grow Parsley
Soil and location
This culinary herb thrives in good drainage and loam soil. It grows best in moderately fertile soils, moisture and sunshine zones, although it can tolerate some light shade.
Petroselinum crispum is a slow process compared to other herbs, but it is easy to start from seed. You can apply its seeds directly to your farm three to four weeks before the last frost. To speed up germination, soak the seeds in water overnight before planting. If its seeds want to start indoors then start 3 months before the last frost.
Petroselinum crispum plants are heavy feeders, so feed liquid fertilizer during the growing season.
How to sow Parsley seeds
- Soak healthy seeds in water overnight before planting. This will accelerate the germination of seeds.
- If you want to start seeds indoors, you can start with good quality seeds 3 months before the last frost.
- Plant seeds at 1-2 seeds per cell, if more seeds grow together, thin transplanting will be done.
- To make it easier to sow seeds, do not plant too deep, apply only 1/4 inch deep. You can also press them with light soil by placing seeds on the soil. If planting directly in your garden, 2-3 inches apart.
- After planting the seed, do a gentle spray of water, you add water to the seed tray and gently water so that the seeds do not displace from their place.
- To keep the soil moist, you should cover your seed tray with a lid or plastic sheet, this will help keep it warm and moist.
- Its seeds take about 14-28 days to germinate. If you start seeds indoors, you have to be patient.
You can harvest throughout the year if you grow it indoors during winter. Harvest it in the morning you will get an optimal taste. Instead of freezing the leaves, you use its leaves freshly, on freezing it loses its optimum flavor.
5 Amazing benefits of Parsley
Petroselinum crispum was used as a medicine. It used for toothaches, bruises, insect bites and skin diseases. Parsley has anti-inflammatory and anti-hepatotoxicity properties. It cleans to the liver and driven liver damage.
2. Increase the immune systems
This Herb plant is enriched with vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. If used parsley consistently increases antibacterial and antifungal properties increases. That increases the number of white blood cells, which causes a strong immunity system.
3. Blood pressure
A low-sodium diet can help lower or prevent high blood pressure, according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. The regular use of parsley belongs to the constant abuse in BP control. It’s reducing heart attack risk. Fresh Leaves can be part of a weight-loss diet because each cup contains only 22 calories. It is the cause of high blood pressure.
4. Controls Rheumatoid Arthritis
Fresh leaves have been effective against Rheumatoid Arthritis. Vitamin C and beta-carotene found in it, that control arthritis. Use fresh leaves daily and you will find relief from joint pain.
5. Antidiabetic properties
Studies indicate that parsley used to control diabetes. Use of it encourages and strengthens the digestive system, Indigestion and stomach diseases like this thrive it is profitable. It is also useful for a lack of craving. Petroselinum crispum helps to repulse stones. It is useful for urinary disorders.
Read also: 9 Easy growing Herbs for your garden. How to start an herb garden. Princes flowers growing in containers. Poppies growing tips. Coriander Growing and care in containers. 11 Best winter flowers for your garden. Plumeria growing and caring guide. Garlic vine growing in containers. Freesia flowers growing and care guide. Growing Peanuts at home.