Terrace Garden, Patio, and container have today in a special place, Croton increase in popularity is due to appear in all gardens. It is popular in tropical and sub-tropical climates as an ornamental plant. It is easy to maintain, the plant can be grown indoors and outdoors, it prepares an excellent houseplant. See the appropriate information that will prove beneficial for you to plant croton and care, how to grow croton in a container, Growing Croton plant, Croton propagation, Croton varieties, and croton plant care .
Croton is the genus of the flowering plant from the spurge family Euphorbiaceae. Plants of this genus were described for European Georg Eberhard Rumphius. It is a perennial plant that is 3 to 3.5 feet long. Most of these plants house plants which are grown at home or in a greenhouse. Plants come in different sizes and colors of the leaves, its leaves are thick and glossy and come in several sizes as small, long, thin, thick, and twist. It also comes in many colors as red, yellow, green, purple, orange and mixed.
Croton most Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, New Guinea, the Pacific Islands, and Australia are the people cultivated.
Scientific name Croton
Plant type Houseplant
Sun Full/ partial
Soil Rich soil
Height 3- 3.5 feet
Color Red, yellow, green, purple, orange and mixed
USDA Zone 9-11
- This plant to survive in most climates. These plants are growing well in direct sunlight, both indoor and outdoor.
- Too much sunlight can bleach the leaves of color. Many species of Croton light shade, partial shade, full sun to light many species will thrive.
- Take stem cuttings, The cutting should have three sets of leaves from the top. Place the stem into a container filled with Potting Soil. Then covered by a polyethylene container so as to make the atmosphere becomes a greenhouse.
- Air layering is the propagation of the second technique, the roots of which stem is still attached to the plant. Thick stem cut around with a sharp knife the diameter part 1.5 Inches. Remove the top cover of the stem. After that these part layering by rooting powder and tie it up and down by polyethylene with a Potting Soil. A few days later, it will remove the roots. Then the plant cut below the root ball and transplant it.
- Immerse it in the water a day before the propagation cutting, it reduces stress for plants and helps in maintaining moisture. If you cover the container with plastic, it keeps moisture for several weeks. Check it two or three times a week, and if it starts drying then sink a little water.
- Its propagation by stem cutting is quite easy. The plant cutting propagation of directly into the soil or putting it in water the roots can be developed. It also can be grown from seeds.
Growing condition croton plant
- The plant is very strongly influenced by the changing environment, low humidity, dry, low temperature of 50 degrees, or rapidly changing temperatures caused the leaves to start falling.
- It is easily grown in the garden in USDA Zones 11 and 12, or it can be grown in containers in full sun, though partial shade is tolerated.
- The narrow leaves are easy to grow and care
- It requires the Rich Soil. Always use Potting Mix with compost. The plant requires a soil well drainage so that the water goes out. Good drainage system into the container must be.
Growing seeds indoors
Start seeds indoors at any time, when the temperature is 70 to 80 degrees, it germinated well. It takes 30 days to germinate.
Popular croton varieties
The following are the most popular and best-performing croton varieties.
Gold dust croton – Its leaves are bright green, wax, and oval-shaped leaves, there are spectacular yellow spots in it. People often do this type of landscape in the temperate zone. It is an excellent houseplant that performs well in both indoor and outdoor industries.
Mammy Croton – This is the smallest and most popular variety, it usually grows to a height of two and a half feet. Its bright, soggy green, yellow and red-twisted, like leaves are attractive.
Croton plant care
- Plants like bright sunlight, but benefits from partial shade in the summer afternoon. Too much sun is bleach the color of its leaves. Croton Light feeder once a month and as such they require fertilizer.
- Engaged in a container for houseplants use liquid fertilizer.
- Indoor room temperature 70 degrees F during the day and night temperatures of 10 to 15 degrees F cooler. Croton Protect cold draft.
Pests and disease croton
This plant is free of pests, but some garden pests are affected. Mealybugs effects sometimes get to see. Its leaves are curved and speckled by meets attack. Thrips attack has also developed new plants. these houseplants to get rid of these pests through pesticides.