Learn How to grow Onion, Growing Onions in a container, Onion care, harvesting, Planting Onion by seeds and more about this plant. Onions are planted early in the spring and it is harvested in the fall when their crowns die back. There are varieties that can be planted in fall in South America.
Planting onion is very simple, do not need to grow onion from seed. If you have onion, then chop the top onion and plant the bottom in the soil. After some days the onion gets sprouted from the cutting. You just have patience time and plenty of water. You can grow onions in 90-120 days from the onion seeds. We do not advise to develop onion from seeds, use onion sets, which will ensure you from the damage caused by the cold and will have higher success compared to seeds or implants.
You can use raised bed or conventionally raised rows to plant onion plants. If you want to start your onion from seed then you can start inside the house.
Scientific name Allium cepa
Common name Onion
Plant type Vegetable
Sun requires Full Sun
Soil Any, Sandy Loam soil
Soil pH 5.5-6.5
Popular names in India
Pyaaz in Hindi, in Irulli Kannada, Vengaayam in Tamil and Kanda in Maharashtra.
How to grow Onion
Soil and Location
its plants can grow from sandy loam to heavy soil in almost any soil. For this the firm soil is good. If the soil of your garden is heavy, you should use some organic manure, perlite or sand to maintain moisture in the soil. Onions prefer a little acidic soil, for this pH 5.5-6.5 is an excellent level.
The plant has a very shallow root system and therefore it dries very quickly compared to other plants. Due to the lack of water, its bulbs will remain small and will mature quickly. It is better to drink water, soak the field up to a depth of 6 inches rather than giving water to the area you develop it all the time. It is better to give water early in the morning because the water of the afternoon flies into a considerable quantity of steam.
Onion plants need phosphorus and potassium after about 2-3 weeks of planting in the beginning, it is essential for its root development. Apply balanced fertilizer 10-20-10 before planting. After about 3 weeks of planting, its root system develops.
After this, you should feed nitrogen-heavy fertilizer (21-0-0), its new leaves will develop and will be dark green. When the bulb starts to grow in the plant, you will see that where the bulb is growing, there is a crack in the soil on its sides. After that, you should not give fertilizer. Read more.
This plant grows very well in the temperature range of 13-24 degree C, its growing period and when the bulb is formed, the ideal temperature is 16-21 degrees C. When the bulb is mature and the time of harvest 30-35 degrees C is favorable. In the case of cold, heat and excessive rainfall, good performance can be affected.
Planting onion using sets
- If you have a set of onions sets and garden tools, then it is a good time to plant!
- First, separate the small, soft onion sets with a large anion. Large ones are also suitable for planting, separate the ones that are bad.
- With the help of travel, remove the weeds, pebbles, and stones from the ground, and loosen the soil thoroughly.
- Make a straight line with the help of a long rope, and make holes in the soil with the help of your trowel 10 centimeter apart. Each row approximately 25 cm apart and the hole is about 1 inch deep.
- Planting it in the upwards position, its green shoot is some over from the soil. Now fill the firm with around the sets. After planting, water your plants well. Read more.
- In addition to the sets, you can also cut down the lower part of the onions and develop it.
Planting Onion by seeds
- You do not want to use onion sets, or none of your local nurseries can bring the plant, so you can use onion seeds. However, they grow a little slow, and it takes about three months.
- Loosen the soil before planting and clean any weeds and stones.
- Make the soil hard with your feet. And draw a straight line with the help of the rope and make a row. Hole 10 centimeter apart and make each hole deeper about 1 inch deep.
- Separate row 25 cm apart. Cover it with mild soil and give it water.
- The crop rotation is very important in its cultivation. It improves the fertility of the soil and the production volume of the crop.
- For good bulb yields, it is necessary to keep the weeds free from the harvest. For the implanted onion, pre-oxyfluorfen applications. Apply after sowing transplantation and seed crop immediately pendimethalin, it is best to control weeds without affecting germination and seedling growth.
- Add compost with nitrogen each week to produce large bulbs. When a crack in the soil appears around the bulb, the bulbing process starts, do not return the soil around this time; this can make the trouble in bulbs set.
- Its plants do not require frequent water if you use mulch. For this, about one inch of water per week (including rainwater) is enough. If you want to produce sweet onions, give more water.
- Water during drought condition, because it looks healthy even after being dried from inside. Read more.
Growing Onions in container
- For this, choose at least 8 inches deep container.
- To plant your onion in the container, fill the pot with about half the height with moist and good potting soil.
- In these containers, transplant onion plant or its bulbs, keep in mind that the root part of the bulb should be about two inches in the soil.
- After this, cover the bulb gradually from the surrounding soil, and cover the bulb completely.
- Then water your plants well. After giving water the bulb is visible and cover with soil.
- Now place your container near a sunny window. It grows well in full sun, it requires sunlight for 6 to 7 hours. Wait a bit.
- Always keep moisture in the soil, in a few weeks your green leaves will appear. You can cut green leaves several times.
When the bulb begins to grow in the plant, then the new growth stops from the center. When its bulbs mature, the leaves begin to fall yellow and fall on the plant. When the top leaves fall to about three quarters, then bend over it horizontally. Now all the energy spent on the leaves will be spent in strengthening the bulbs.
Leave the above leaves in the sun for a day or two, when after turning brown, raise the bulb using the fork on a sunny day, and leave it to dry in the sun. If the upper skin of the bulb dries in about a week then remove any type of soil from the bulb. Let the onion dry in the airy open space, if the weather is moist, then take special care. You can hang it by looping it like a wire basket or some other way.
Pests and diseases
Onions can infect many types of rot, in which most of the Fusarium basal rot, botrytis neck rot, and bacterial soft effect. To avoid these diseases, you should use a healthy transplant or healthy set, do not allow any kind of weed in the garden. And do not allow any bulbs to be injured in any way. Always use resistant varieties for planting.
Use cultural control practices to handle disease problems well and to successfully harvest. Keep a rotation of its crop, it will get rid of many diseases. Plant in the area where you have not grown onions, chives, or garlic in the past few years.
Read also: How to grow African violets. 8 Common Gardening Mistake easily avoided. Growing and Planting Freesia flower. Growing Black currant in containers. Lupin Growing and care information. How to grow an Avocado tree. Pointed gourd cultivation. 8 Best Frugal Gardening tips. How to grow Bleeding hearts flowers. How to grow Lily. Celery growing in containers. Cantaloupe growing in containers. Jade Plant growing indoors. Know how to grow Pansy flowers. Gladiolus growing and care tips. Turnips growing guide. Oregano growing guide at home. Broccoli growing in containers.