Know how to grow broccoli, Growing broccoli, broccoli vegetable, it is the most popular vegetable, and growing throughout the world. Developing broccoli vegetable based on your climate can be difficult, but you can achieve success based on the information given to you.
This plant is grown in the season spring and fall. If you grow broccoli in your garden, then you can enjoy this vegetable full summer and fall and will get the physical benefits of organic farming.
The best part is that you can harvest it in very short days (55 days), and get crops for several weeks to come. However, this vegetable has to face some problems in growing for the first time. Nature Bring is telling you how easily you can include it in your Patio Garden.
Scientific name Brassica oleracea var. italica
Common name Broccoli
Plant type Vegetable
Sun required Full sun
Soil pH 6.0-7.0
Growing Condition of Broccoli
It is very important to have a proper place before growing this plant. A place where direct sunlight and good air circulations are very important.
Planting broccoli requires rich soil. Therefore, before planting it, mix the appropriate quantity of compost in the soil, because its plants prefer moist and fertile soil with a pH around 6.0-7.0. Its required Before planting the seeds, lay a thin surface of 2-4 inch manure in the soil. (Read about amendments in the soil in detail.)
- This is a cool season crop, it can tolerate day temperatures and light cold. Gardner planted its first crop in the spring and in the second crop in fall, which is used in the summer. Broccoli seeds germinate at temperatures below 40 degrees F.
- For planting in spring, transplant 2-3 weeks before the last spring cold. And if you develop by seeds, then add more to maturity 10 days.
- Choose the heat tolerant species for the development in summer, though there is a difference in taste.
- Broccoli prefers the presence of the full sunlight. At least 5-6 hours Sunlight is required per day.
- The growing season of broccoli is very short, so it requires very rich soil with high-quality manure.
- For this, drainage is extremely necessary. So choose a place where water is easily drained. You can even apply it to a mound place.
- Use organic manure for its crop, you will get better returns.
- It takes 3 to 4 months to mature, from planting to full crop.
- Grow the seed before 85 to 100 days before the first fall for fall planting.
- If you live in a warm climate, give priority to fall planting, because it flourishes well in cool weather.
- Place the plant seeds in depth by 1/2 inches. Keep space your plant within a 12 to 24 inches apart, and place 36 inches between each row.
- Broccoli to grow, planting thin seedling to 12 inches apart to give room. Read more.
How to grow Broccoli in a container
This vegetable can easily develop in a container. You can grow single broccoli plant in a container, we need at least 8 inches of containers. You can plant many plants in large containers, separate 18 inches. This is very sensitive to heat, so take the plants in shade for hot days.
You can plant it near beet, celery, herbs, onion, potato etc. Avoid growing broccoli near pole beans, strawberries, or tomatoes.
Broccoli vegetable care
Use nitrogen compost for good growth of the plant, using cottonseed meal is beneficial to make soil rich. You can use granulated fertilizers according to the instructions in the packet or use 14-14-14 vegetable fertilizer. You can use liquid fertilizer at the beginning of the plant regularly, plants also prefer liquid fertilizers. This plant overall likes Rich Soil.
The plant needs moisture to grow fast and produce large heads. Organic Mulch of compost, finely ground leaves, finely ground bark, etc. will help to keep the soil cool and humid. But in cold regions it is the opposite, to keep the ground warm, you will need a black plastic sheet to keep the soil warm. And if your soil is naturally not rich in nitrogen then you should fertilize the fish emulsion or vegetable plant to amend the soil.
The plant needs water in a moderate way. If it does not rain, then apply it for 1-1.5 inch water per week.
Pests problem Broccoli plant
There are some insects and problems that trouble broccoli plant. Common insects troubling this are imported cabbage worm, cabbage root maggot, cabbage looper, and aphids. These insects tend to bother more in the beginning season. Black cag, black rot and clubroot attack normally. Rotation of crops is necessary to avoid this problem. The clubroot is reduced when you increase the soil pH 7.0.
- To get a good taste of broccoli, it should be harvested early in the morning.
- Cut from the head and leave at least 6 inches to stem below.
- Many of its species have side shoots, which continue to develop even after head cutting. You can harvest from the same plant for several years.
- If you want to store in the freeze, then dry it after washing it thoroughly.
- Maturation depends on its species. By the way, most broccolis take 48 days to mature after transplantation. Read more.
How to grow Onion in containers. How to grow Black Peppers plant. Growing Heirloom Tomatoes easy steps. 8 Beast Frugal Gardening tips. Growing Ridge Gourd at home. Turnips growing and caring. Pointed Gourdcultivation guide. Lilac shrub care tips. 7 Easy growing Purple vegetable.