Learn How to grow Sunflower, Growing Sunflower from seeds, care, Harvesting and more about these plants. There are 70 species of Helianthus annuus or sunflowers, from the Asteraceae family. Many of the Asteraceae are known by the name of sunflower. All except three species of South America Helianthus are native to North America. Sunflower is a popular species; its common name is Sunflower. The flower head is round and the petals of looks like the sun. Sunflower is grown as a crop for its edible oil and edible fruits. You can grow sunflower easily by seeds.
This sunflower species is also used as bird food, as livestock forage, and in some industrial applications. Sunflowers are annual plants is easy to grow and become plants grow themselves. full sunlight is the best location for the production of sunflowers. Slightly acidic to alkaline soil is suitable for it and soil pH 6.0- 7.0 is the best. Once the sunflower plants are developed that can tolerate drought.
Scientific name Helianthus annuus
Common name Sunflower
Plant type Flower
Sun Full sun
Soil type Well-drained soil, acidic to alkaline soil
Soil pH 6.0-7.0
Flower color Yellow
Blooming time Summer
Growing condition Sunflower
- Sunflower roots spread widely and can tolerate drought. But still, it is generally the regular watering, especially when growing period. Growing period is the most important for sunflowers to thrive during the 20 days before and after watering is best.
- The depth and regular watering encourage root growth, it is especially helpful in heavy sunflower blooms.
- Add a slow-acting granular fertilizer to poor soil. Sunflowers do not require fertilization because they grow very quickly and in a few months to a height of 6 feet easily expanded.
- Food will be as good as the big flower. But remember, if it is not so much nitrogen otherwise sunflower blooms late.
- Some sunflowers varieties do not need staking plant, but when the plant is 3 feet tall, the plant can support stacking is good. Its branches are quite brittle, especially where it is joint to the stem. The flowers are so large in size, it may damage from rain or strong winds, staking well that time.
- When the time comes the stage of seed ripening and harvesting squirrels and birds are the main problems. They can use the device tool to stop the problem.
- If you can direct seed spring is the best time to plant. When soil temperature is over to 40 degrees F.
- Sunflower flower prefers long summers. 6 to 8 hours in direct sunlight is necessary for sunflower.
- Plants roots are quite spread so it prefers dry and loose soil for dug; to prepare the bed 2 feet deep digging is required. Select a location before planting it is perfectly well drained. After the elections, the 2 to 3 feet deep dug soil to prepare the soil.
- As the name suggests, this plant requires full sun. So you should choose a place where direct sunlight falls.
- Sunflower plant acidic and alkaline soil ph level should be 6 to 7.
- Sunflowers are heavy feeders so it’s required nutrient rich with organic compost in the soil. Slow release granular fertilizer 8 inches deep into the soil.
- If possible, seeds grow near the fence or around the building because its plants are 5 feet tall, and the flowers are quite heavy. Read more.
Sunflower growing from seeds
- These are annual plants, these plants can easily grow. It is a very popular plant. Seeds are sown in the spring season.
- These seeds can be planted indoors when the temperature 64-91 degree F is the best. Sunflower seeds, it takes 80 to 120 days to mature. As the cold should last 2 weeks before planting seeds.
- Mix Shallow fertilizer when planting, it encourages the strong root, at the blooming time it will protect from the wind.
- 5 to 6 weeks after you can enjoy flower bloom continuously.
- Do not seeds more than1 inch deep, about 6 Inches apart in the warmer temperature.
- If you see the birds hovering over seeds, spread netting all over the top of the planting area until seeds germinate.
- Sunflower is fond of water, so they must be watered regularly.
- But should take care of over watering it can cause root rot, this is not well drainage the water.
- These are very drought tolerant, so you will not have water for a while will not damage the plant.
- Its flower shapes and plant length is large, strong winds damage it. To increase the stability and strength of the plant can support Bamboo sticks. Bamboo canes you will easily find on the market. You may wish to plant near the fence or wall.
- It is much tastier, and attract animals and insects to come. This can cause damage to it.
- 30 to 45 days after bloom flowers tilts downwards. The sunflower head appears entirely black. The remarkably deep brown color is changed to green seeds. The sunflower harvest is ready.
- Harvest the seeds after they have a warm, dry place that is well ventilated with a footed stem should hang, which could protect it from squirrels and birds.
- Harvest seed heads take it out of the water, preventing distortion of the cast for a few weeks leave safely.
- The seeds should be dried completely crush the seeds aside. Or, you can use a stiff brush to get the seeds.
Insects and Diseases:
These plants are relatively insects free. Sunflower plants are healthy if fully automatically to protect themselves from pests. Yes, it is required to save the birds and squirrels, because the seeds are very tasty. Hence planting the place where you can protect it from animals. Downy mildew, rust, and powdery mildew susceptible plants can also appear to prevent this fungicide spray.
Read also: How to grow garlic vine in containers. How to grow Primrose flower. Growing and care Ranunculus flowers. Geranium flowers Growing and caring tips. 11 Best winter flowers for your garden. Growing Desert rose, adenium plant care. White flower Growing and caring. Freesia flowers growing in containers. Salvias Growing and caring tips. Flower bulbs growing in summers.Happy Gardening