Custard apple (Sugar-apple)
Learn How to grow custard apple in a container, Growing Custard apple, care, harvesting, and more about this plant. Custard apple trees are particularly attractive fruits grown in tropical areas. The tree is spherical spreading, it has a different crown in 10 to 14 centimeters thick trunk. Its height is 15 to 35 feet, and leaves have a special type of fragrance, they are deciduous, and narrow lanceolate shaped, which is 4 to 8 inches long. Custard apple is found in different sizes and colors, it is made in spherical and conical, made of knobby segments with a thick hole. The size of the fruit is 4 to 6 inches.
The color of custard apple is different from the color of green, in it, there is a creamy flash inside the fruit, which is delicious food in taste. The dark brown or black seeds inside the fruit that look bright and shiny.
It looks very lovely to see the fruit. This is an important fruit from the perspective of health. Custard Apple is a rich source of vitamin C, fiber, vitamin A, B2, B3, B5, B6, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus.
It is known in Hindi as Sitafal, Ramphal, Custard Apple in English, sugar-apple, sweetsop, Ata in Bengali, Nepali Aati, Atis in the Philippines, Ata in Portuguese and Burmese Awzar thee. It is very beneficial in removing body weakness, and a better option to increase immunity power.
Scientific name Annona reticulata
Common name Custard apple
Plant type Fruit
Sun required Full sun
Soil Sandy loam, well-drained soil
Soil pH 7-8 (stony)
How to grow Custard apple
- Custard apple seeds are very harsh, therefore before planting their seeds, soak the seeds in water and leave them for 3 days. This gives you success in seed germination. After leaving the seed put it in a blotting paper or towel.
- Before planting the seeds, make a good drainage hole in the small pot.
- Fill the prepared soil in this pot or use the Potting Mix. I always prepare the soil for my plant. In which we mix sand and compost in a small quantity with soil. (Read more Potting Mix)
- After filling the soil, put 4 seeds in different places with a depth of 1 inch.
- After that, pour water into the pot and keep the pot in direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist, because germination requires warm and humid environments.
- Custard Apple seeds germinate very rapidly in 18 to 30 degrees Celsius. It takes about 3 weeks to germinate.
- When the plant grows up to 3 to 4 inches, then transplant
In the ground
- Choose a place to plant a custard apple, which is warm and protected with strong winds, it will protect the soft brittle wood of the tree. This wood can be damaged by the wind. If you want to grow this tree on the ground, then dug the soil 1 meter deep and then add sand and manure to this soil.
- Whether you are putting your custard apple in the ground or in the container you need moisture in the soil, you can save humidity by using a thick layer of organic mulch for it.
- The tree is denser by sorting out the growing branches of custard apple, and it helps in developing new branches. The best time to prune in winter.
- It requires regular watering, especially in the Growing Period. Due to under-watering, the fruit can burn in the sunlight directly and more water can be root rot.
Growing Custard apple in a container
- Big size container is suitable for casting custard apple. After choosing the container, see if there is a drainage hole in its bottom.
- Fill the pot completely with well-drained soil, fill sandy loam and peat in equal quantity. Place the seed in an I inch deep hole and cover it with soil. Then giving water to keep humidity.
- Before planting a custard apple in a container, understand the environment very well. It develops well when it is hot and humid.
- For this hot soil, humidity and windless environment are appropriate.
- If the temperature is above 28 degrees Celsius, then the tree will have more growth and less fruit.
- Avoid dry areas, where relative humidity can be less than 70% during the fruit set.
- The frost young tree and fruit can kill. Custard Apple is not possible to grow inside the house.
- Custard apples prefer deep, rich soil, which is sufficient humid and good drainage. It flourishes in tropical areas and in different types of soil. It also grows in the wild terrain, but it gives relatively less production.
- This plant requires regular water, especially at the time when the plant is growing actively and the flowers are growing. Due to less water, the fruit can burn directly in the sunlight, and over-watering can rot in the roots. In winter, when the tree becomes dormant, it does not require regular water.
- This tree grows very rapidly if there is dry weather and growing period, good results are obtained from mulching, organic manure, and regular watering.
- To improve the number of fruits, you can pollinate flowers by hand every morning. For this, you can brush the male flowers from the thin paintbrush and pollen it in the center of the female flowers.
- Custard apple is sensitive to frost. To avoid this, you can cover it or get it to a safe place, where Frost’s impact is low.
The benefits of this crop are in late winter and spring when the favorite members of jeans are not in the season. After losing the fruit green color it becomes worth the harvest.
Pests and disease
Custard Apple is not serious pests and diseases so you can get rid of them with limited chemical use. Aphids and mealy worms can damage this tree, which can control without any chemicals. When numbers begin to grow you can use fruit fly traps.
Read also: How to grow Jade Plant. How to grow Banana Plant. Growing Strawberry in containers. Growing Popular herb plant Mint. 10 elegant plants for vertical gardening. Peppercorns Growing and caring tips. Mandevilla growing and caring tips. How to make Bonsai Plant. 8 Frugal Gardening tips. House plants care: Keep your plants healthy. Spring Onion growing and caring tips. Ridge gourd Growing and caring tips. Mulberry growing tips. Pumpkins growing and care tips. Orange fruits growing and care guide.