Long beans, Yardlong beans, Chinese long beans, snake beans, asparagus beans, etc. different names are popular, but it is commonly known as long beans. Learn How to grow Long beans, growing condition Long beans, Asparagus beans care, Harvesting Yardlong beans, and more about this plant.
Yardlong beans plant
It is native to Southeast Asia, Long beans are close to cowpea or black-eyed pea, it comes in green, purple colors, another dark brown color variety. These long beans are rich in nutrients such as Vitamin A and contain the appropriate amount of vitamin C. It is a tropical and sub-tropical vegetable plant, which is very popular in Asian countries.
Yardlong beans plants are usually going up to 10 to 12 feet, so they need support, they can use a pole or lattice for support. It can be used by making raw, vegetable, or drying its seeds and using it for food. You can develop it in your terrace garden, container, or patio very easily. The characteristic of this plant is that it grows fast and produces fast fruits. If you find this plant in your house then you can get a daily basis harvest.
Scientific name Vignaunguiculata ssp. Sesquipedalis
Common name Long beans, asparagus beans, snake beans, yardlong beans
Plant type Vegetable
Sun required Full Sun
Flower color Yellow
Soil Well-drained organic-rich soil
Soil PH 6.0- 7.5
Common name of Long beans
Long beans are known by many names. Some common names are as follows: Chinese long beans, yard long beans, Asparagus beans, pea bean, and snake beans.
Growing condition Long beans
Soil and location
Asparagus beans are a member of the legume family of plants, so before planting, you can take advantage of the soil prepared for beans and peas. This dry season, tropical crop, can tolerate extreme humidity and heat. So, in your garden, you choose a place where the full sun comes. Due to the fall in the weather, there may be an impact on them. Perfectly well-drained and organic-rich soil is suitable for this. Between pH soils containing 6.0 and 7.5, they grow very well.
Dry the soil well during the dry season, during its growing season, its Chinese long beans require about 1 inch of rainfall per week. Looking at continuously, you need to add water to your plant. A drip sprinkler system is best for water supply, which provides water at low pressure at the soil level. If you provide water with an overhead sprinkler, give water early in the day so that leaves get time to dry. Always keep the soil moist but not saturated. Read more.
Spread a 2-to-4-inch layer of composted compost on the soil of the garden. Before transplantation, add organic manure to the garden, do not use nitrogen-rich fertilizers, it will only develop the plant.
- After all the hazards of excessive frost have ended, you can sow it directly in the garden when the soil becomes able to work. If you do not want to wait for long to mature, you can sow seeds by covering with a black plastic a few weeks before your last frost date. In warmer areas, you can plant more crops at two weeks intervals, you can also sow late summer or even fall. Read more.
- Sow it seeds 24-inch apart in rows, seed with 3 inches apart, and cover it with 1-inch good soil. Gradually firm soil and give it water.
- Planting occurs in 10-14 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- For a continuous supply of beans, sow every 2 weeks and when seedling becomes 1-2 inches tall, thin planting to 12inches apart.
Other companion plants of yardlong beans
With Asparagus beans plant you can mix with hot vegetable vegetables like chilies, tomatoes, and eggplants. Between plant towers, you can plant squash, it will help to reduce the weed. Pole beans also preserve the cool weather vegetables like spinach and lettuce.
Asparagus beans care
Chinese long beans plant needs moisture. Apply mulch around the plant to maintain moisture and keep the soil warm, it helps to control the weeds.
Young transplants need a trail, with a little initial training you can give them the right direction. After some time Yard Long Beans will soon be able to climb itself.
Along with the harvesting of beans, you need to give water regularly, though they are some drought-tolerant, for a long time the dry pods will make them difficult and they will not be able to use them for vegetables.
Pest problem Asparagus beans
- The bean beetles damage the long beans like green beans. These small insects are aphids and thrips, which are often missed, which is important for you to watch, especially during the early days of the weather, these are particularly invasive.
- Deer, rabbit, groundhogs, and other small animals can damage their leaves and tender shoots.
Harvesting Yardlong beans
It begins to flower after about 5 weeks of sowing, and it takes about 10-12 days to get fruit from the flower. When the appropriate length increases and before the seed matures, take the pods in the tender stage. Asparagus beans can grow up to 24 inches tall, but you can choose them from 12 to 18 inches. Harvest did not damage the plant if cut the leg with a sharp knife. To make the seed, leave some legumes to mature and dry on the plant.
Learn about: French Beans, greens beans growing and caring tips.