Peace lily (Spathiphyllum)
Certain species of Spathiphyllum are known as peace lily or spathe. They are native to tropical regions of the Americas and southeastern Asia. Peace lilies have glossy, oval dark green leaves that narrow to the point. The fragrant of the plant resembles that of calla lilies. learn peace lily care, growing peace lily in this aricle.
Peace lily helps in filtering the indoor air and also increases the level of humidity which helps in breathing better. It also beneficial for good sleep because it absorbs airborne mold spores that are usually allergens. The beauty and fragrance of the plant bring calmness and relieves stress from the body and mind.
Overview of Spathiphyllum
Scientific name Spathiphyllum
Common names Peace lily, Cobra plant, White Anthurium
Plant type Houseplant
Sun requirement Bright indirect sunlight
Bloom time Spring
Flower colour white
Soil Well draining, all-purpose soil
Soil pH 5.8- 6.5
Zone 10 – 12
How to Grow peace lily
- Peace lilies grow very well in containers. It is not appropriate to plant these plants in larger pots than root balls.
- For spathiphyllum, choose medium size containers, it needs good drainage, so check the drainage hole before planting the plant.
- Select a container slightly larger than the size of the root ball.
- Fill your pot with houseplant potting mix, do not mix manure in it. Compost or bark causes fungus.
- Place the top of the spathiphyllum root ball about 1 inch below the rim of the pot.
- After planting the plant, cover the root ball with the potting mix.
- Water well after planting the plant, until the water comes out from the bottom of the pot. Place a saucer under the pot and place it where it is called inside the house.
Peace lily care
Peace lilies make an excellent home plant. And, the peace lily is one of the easiest indoor plants to look after.
Since peace lilies like to grow indoor, they prefer bright indirect sunlight rather than direct sunlight. Keep them in a location where there is enough light for them like windows, otherwise, they won’t bloom in low light and may also become leggy.
The leaves may start turning yellow if they don’t get too much or too low light. Brown patches and streaks may also start developing if it is exposed to much to direct sunlight. A location six to eight feet away from a North or west-facing window is the best option to place your plant as they do not throw direct sunlight throughout the day.
Well draining, all-purpose soil mix is one of the best options for your peace lilies. You can also use cactus soil for your plant. The plant prefers refreshed soil it is better that you repot your peace lily annually in the spring season.
Water the plant once a week to keep the soil moist and accurate for the plant’s health.
The best temperature for your peace lily is between 65 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Peace lilies usually enjoy the indoor temperature people enjoy.
The plant cannot withstand cold temperatures or temperatures under 45 degrees Fahrenheit. It is usually preferable to keep the plant indoors most of the year.
Overwatering or under-watering may cause the leaves to wilt and the edges of the leaf start to turn yellow or brown. peace lilies prefer moist soil but don’t like to sit in standing water, so your pot or container should have a drainage hole.
Check the top inches of the soil to know whether the plants need watering or not. If the soil is dry, water it otherwise waits a little more.
If, spathiphyllum plant wilts every two or three days then repot them in a larger container, so that they don’t need watering much often.
Any good quality, water-soluble houseplant fertilizer is good for you peace lily. After fertilizing the plant, make sure to water the plant in order to evenly distribute the fertilizer around the roots.
Since peace lilies do not require heavy feeding, you must only fertilize the plant occasionally. Fertilize every six weeks in the summer or spring season.
Problem with a peace lily
- Although peace lily is very easy to care for, this plant needs to keep an eye on the fungal problem. This is why use good drainage and good potting mix in the plant.
- Spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow when they become old and you can separate them.
- Scale and mealybug are also attacked on this plant. When affected, spray soapy water or pesticide soap on the plant, however, you need to repeat this.
10 Elegant plants for vertical gardening. How to grow Dumbcane houseplants. How to grow Begonias. Flowering vines Balcony garden. Mandevilla growing and care tips. Rosemary growing and care guide. Coreopsis flowers growing guide. 09 leaf plants for containers. 05 types of air plants for your home. Peperomia houseplants growing guide. Growing Gladiolus plants.