How to grow Edible Nasturtium Plant | Growing and Care tips
By: Yash Date 04.01.2017
Tropaeolum is commonly known as Nasturtium, it is annual and perennial herbaceous flower plant. Nasturtium is a normal plant, whose flowers and leaves are edible. This plant is popular due to green leaves and vibrant flowers. Flowers bisexual and zygomorphic, and with five petals have a better three carpelled ovary. The leaves are round and heart-shaped shield is in the stalk.
You can easily grow in a container and use to ground cover. Due to its attractive fragrance of cut flowers in particular. Nasturtium is easy to grow and they are rapidly developing. The flowers come in the summer and autumn season of red, orange and yellow colors The following wild-type, single and double flowers come in many Variety. Mali’s election because of nasturtium climb or vertical garden, ground covers, weed barriers, mulch is living longer. There are many types of nasturtium. It fencing, ground cover, window boxes, trellises, or even starts in the container. But it is a downside, Nasturtiums are grown easily by self-seed, where you are not wanted.
The flowers are not only beautiful to look at, but it is also a lot of vitamins. The biggest surprise is the flavor.
Common Name Nasturtium
Scientific Name Tropaeolum
Plant Type Flower
Sun Full Sun
Soil Poor soil, well-drained
Flower Color Orange, Red, Yellow
Bloom time Summer, autumn
By planting the seed of the plant is more appropriate. Nasturtium in case it is convenient because it is where you want to grow, this is not required a transplant.
- This 4 to 6 weeks before the last spring or winter indoors can start by seed.
- Plant seeds in the early spring season in moist but they required well-drained soils and full sun.
- However, the seeds are growing in partial shade, but it blooms best in full sun.
- Nasturtium is flourishing well in poor soil so it does not need fertilizer. The flowers are blooming in the less fertile soil.
- Equal to twice the length of seed (approximately 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch) deep must Sow. Germinate seeds require darkness.
- After sowing, well water and keep it free of weeds, within two months you will see vigorous growth. Nasturtium remains relatively trouble-free.
- On new leaves and flowers can attack aphids. The constant spray of water and use insecticidal soap.
- Dead and fade Flowers cutting always, it will bloom longer.
- Nasturtium growing season can put in containers but pruning is necessary from time to time.
- Its flowers and leaves are edible. The young leaves for salads or in the morning when the flowers bloom, the flowers are ready to break. Flower blooming in summer and the leaves will be more pungent flavor.
- If you can eat its flowers full flower petals slight taste more tart can be.
- Nasturtium can also use the pasta. The seeds are used as a Black Pepper
- Keep it safe when the seeds are dry or it will fall dries.