Ginger is a flowering plant, ginger root is widely used as a spice or a traditional medicine. It is a very powerful herb. Fresh roots are used to enhance the flavor of the dishes. Tea made from this is very beneficial for health. Nature Brings is telling you How to grow Ginger in a pot, Growing Ginger root, Harvest Ginger root and more about this plant.
About Ginger plant
The height of the plant is approximately 3 feet. Its dry roots are used to make medicines. It can be easily grown in the courtyard in the pot, and the production can be done all year round. It takes 10 months to mature and it doesn’t tolerate frost. If you live in a place where it gets the low temperature in the winter, growing it in a pot indoors and bringing outside or grow when summer time is going on or the temperature is high.
Scientific name Zingiber Officinale
Common name Ginger
Plant type Flowering plant
Sun required Full sun/ Partial Sun
Soil Rich and well-drained
Soil pH 5.5-6.5
Zone USDA 8
Growing Ginger root
Soil and location
The roots need good soil to grow in a pot or ground, there should be rich enough soil to grow, if the garden soil is used for planting, then add a lot of organic fertilizers in the soil at the time of planting, by which the plant’s moisture requirement may be fulfilled. The soil should be well-drained Waterlogging can damage the rhizome. Plants grow very well in a sheltered spot, the filtered sunlight, warm weather, and humidity.
Good manure for planting is ideal, use good manure with a part of the soil of the garden, supports fertilizer nutrition and maintains moisture.
If you have proper soil in your garden, then just mix some fertilizers, dig it and plant the rhizome. If the soil is very heavy then you can make small hills or ridge to improve drainage. The late winter / early spring is the best time of planting it.
Cut the pieces of ginger rhizomes into pieces, there are some rising buds with each piece, or can complete rhizomes too. Grow your ginger rhizomes in depth by five to ten centimeters.
Plants do not need much space to grow. Planted each rhizome will grow only a few leaves in one place. But over time it becomes quite dense and gradually big. Read more.
Soil temperatures must be warm — ideally between 71 and 77ºF (22–25ºC).
How to grow Ginger in a pot
How to grow ginger in a pot is easy and rewarding. Once planted, this plant, needs water and patience to mature into a delicious, spicy ingredient. There are a few steps to grow.
Choose a container
Ginger is a heavy feeder, they require lots of water and lots of space. Looking at the growing nature of the plant, it requires a large pot, according to the size of the plant it is good to have 2-gallon pot for about six months. Choose a good drainage hole and a deeply beautiful container.
- Start in early spring because it can’t survive in a frost.
- Choose your ginger, that has plump and wrinkle-free.
- Cut the rhizome into pieces if you want to grow many plants.
- Prepare the high quality and well-drained and fertile soil.
- The location of the plant must be in partial shade or areas with morning sun only.
- Choose pot at least 12 inches (30cm) deep. A plastic pot is better than terra cotta, as long as you poke plenty of drainage holes in the base.
- Plant each piece of roots 2–4 inches (5–10 cm) below the loose soil, with the buds pointing upward.
- The watering must be light in plants and check the plant daily that soil must dry water completely.
- Watch for germination. It grows slowly, especially outside of the tropics.
- Let the soil dry as the stems die back. The stems of the plant will turn yellow in late summer or early fall, as temperatures drop. Read more.
Harvest Ginger root
Hold the plant on their base, where they are the soil surface and the entire rhizome are down, pull ginger slowly. If you want to continue to grow root, break a part of the root in which there are leaves and carefully separate it. The rest of the root will be re-grown as a crop. Break the leaves from the rhizomes and wash the ginger root. Regardless of whether you use it dry or use it immediately.