Polka dot plant (hypoestes phyllostachya)
How to Grow Polka dot plant, Growing polka dot plant indoors, Seed propagation, polka dot plant care, and pets problem then read the following article. Polka Dot Plant (hypoestes phyllostachya) is a beautiful foliage plant with spotted leaves, which is a small plant, but compared to other plants it can be planted out of good.
This foliage plant makes a good contrast with ferns or ivy or other plants. Pink Polka Dot is usually available everywhere, but in some years gardeners have introduced many new varieties. In this, they also developed deep and brightly colored plants like white and red.
Polka dot plants can be both annual and perennial depending on the climate and the growing conditions. You can grow it in the USDA Zone 3-10 yearly, and in the form of perennial plants inside as a houseplant. It usually goes out and reaches 1 – 1.5 feet.
Overview Polka dot Plant
Scientific name Hypoestes Phyllostachya
Common name Polka Dot Plant, Freckle Face Plant
Plant type Houseplant
Sun requires Indirect Sunlight
Soil well-drained, Loam
Soil pH 6-7.2
How to Grow Polka dot plant
Soil and location
Keep in mind while selecting a place, the most appropriate location for this plant is the indirect sunlight. It performs well at temperatures above 16 degrees C. For this well-drained loam soil with all organic matter, but moisture is required in the soil. For polka dot plants you use a good commercial potting mixture. Read more.
The hypoestes phyllostachya plant should be well watered if the soil surface becomes dry, then re-irrigate. Good drainage is necessary for it, roots are rotated with more water. Give regular water during the growing season in the summer and keep the soil moist and reduce the amount of water in the winter. If the plant flowers and goes into a dormant stage, then reduce the water.
Polka Dot plants grow very quickly. During the growing season in spring and summer, you should apply basic liquid houseplant fertilizer monthly. You should feed every other month after fall and winter unless the leaves appear in it.
Polka Dot plants are best to develop high humidity and moderate temperature, it requires 75 degrees Fahrenheit, humid air, and temperature. Place the plant in a warm place, thereby increasing the humidity. The moisture of the plant can also be increased by misting several times in the day.
You can easily propagate this foliage plant through softwood tip cutting. Inside the house, plants can be sown at any time by the seeds. For best germination, maintain an increasing medium temperature of 70 ° -75 °F, it takes 10-12 days.
Seed propagation of polka dot plants
- If you do not already have seeds, then let the seed dry on the plant, then remove it.
- When you have seeds, fill in the commercial potting mixture in the planting tray by mixing damp peat moss and perlite.
- The best time to plant by seed in spring. It requires 21-24 C warm temperatures for germination. If there is enough circumstance then plant it within two weeks.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic sheet to maintain moisture in the soil. After this keep it indirectly in the sun, when the plant is established and strong enough, you can put it out in partial shadow area. Read also.
Growing Polka dot plant in pots
- You can easily plant polka dot plant in medium and small-sized utensils indoors. For the container plant, you use commercial potting.
- Before planting the plant, check the drainage hole on the surface of the pot. Drainage is very important for this plant. Mix the sand and the perlite in the mixture and fill up to about 1 inch below the rim to the bottom. Read more.
Main species hypoestes phyllostachya
- The original species, H. Phyllostachys, which is also sometimes called H. Sanguinolenta, these are both single plants. Within its original species, there are several varieties that differ from the color of their leaves.
- The ‘splash’ and ‘confetti’ varieties are common, they have significant differences in the coloring of leaves. Their leaves are red-spotted with pink-spotted
Polka dot plant care
- Indirect sunlight is the best-fit for Polka Dot Plant, in which the color of its leaves shines more, but direct sun leaves can burn. If you want to grow the plant outdoors then place it under a tree.
- The plant gets very leggy very quickly, to avoid it, pinch the plant weekly. Use your fingers to pinch the top two leaves at the end of the plant’s stem. With regular pruning, the plant will be encouraged to become an attractive size and bushier.
- To keep the soil moist, often water the Polka Dot plant and keep it in a warm place.
- The outdoor plant once a month during the growing season. Use a balanced fertilizer such as 20-20-20 is good. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of fertilizer with 1-gallon water and pour it in the soil around the plant.
- You can also use balanced fertilizer for your home plant. For use, dilute 1/4 tsp of water in 1-gallon water and pour it on the soil four sides. Read more.
Pests and Diseases
Colored leaves of Polka Dot can attract whiteflies, Aphids, and Mealy Bugs; To get rid of this you use a green solution. Do not over drinking this can promote Powdery Mildew. foliage plant
Read also: How to grow Verbena. Mulberry tree growing at home. Zinnia growing and caring tips. Growing and caring Garlic plants. Growing and caring Gardenia plant. Lily Growing guide. How to grow Poinsettia in containers. . Fuchsia growing and care guide. Raspberry growing and care guide. Organic Bottle gourd growing guide. Gladiolus growing at home. Fiddle leaf growing and care guide. Calendula growing guide. Hosta houseplant growing and care guide.