How to grow Green Beans | Easy planting tips
By: Ramchandra Bhatia Date: 09.03.2017
About Green beans:
Green beans are also known as French beans. These are a tender vegetable. Great for any vegetable garden, because it can be applied in several seasons. It is dependable and easy to cultivate. It can be eaten fresh. In the summer beans crisp green beans, depending on the variety is to produce protein-rich beans. It depends on the species.
There are several species of green beans are size, color and growing habits separately accounted. Green beans in the garden soil fertility to grow with nitrogen fixing root. Beans are often two sets of criteria can be grouped. Plants as either Bush or pole type beans.
Scientific name Phaseotus vulgaris
Common name Beans
Plant type Vegetable
Sun required Full Sun
Soil Well drained, slightly acidic
Soil pH 6.0-7.0
Planting time Early summer
- Transplanting beans usually do not get good results. If it is sown directly in the ground, should be planted before the last spring frost. It should not be planted much earlier. Otherwise, it would rot in soil cool and moist soil.
- If you want to sow early, cover the ground with black polyethene, the soil should be warm.
- Seeds usually 1 to 2 inches deep and approx 4 inches apart and should be 24 inches between rows.
- The ideal position is full sun, well-drained soil, moderately fertile and slightly acidic soil (pH 6.0-7.0) to produce.
- Bean plants should in the open air, it promotes proper growth and prevents mildew and mold.
- Most green beans are planted when the soil should be warm, and be gone cold risk. It should take a depth of 1 inch when fully dry climate. Most beans seeds are germinated within 7 to 10 days.
- Keep the soil moist during germination.
- Growing beans require regular watering. They do not like drought.
- Bean plant should not be in one place for four consecutive years, it should not have onion or fennel.
- Green beans take to mature 60 to 75 days for harvest.
How to care:
- Growing season green beans regularly require stagnant water. At least 2 to 4 centimeters of water per week is required. Since Green beans with shallow roots and as such it requires regular watering. This is especially important during the summer and the dry season. It will establish the pod.
- Mulch to keep moisture in the soil use. Also, make sure the soil is completely dry.
- During planting green beans overhead watering for a few weeks is good. It is also good for summer vegetables. Once the flowering start and setting fruits, drip irrigation system is the best.
- When the plants begin to flower and fruit are borne disease in the leaves is reduced.
- The water in the heat summer leaves of vegetables, bacterial and fungal diseases are inviting.
How to fertilize:
Since they are members of the legume family, so you can use the nitrogen, you can use it with fertilizer. All Purpose balanced granular Fertilizer can be sprinkled on the rows of plants. Potash can be fed with liquid plant food.
Harvest green beans should regularly, it stimulates flowering and fruit. Especially filet beans require regular harvest; otherwise, they will be tough and fibrous. Pods should pick it immediately as soon reached mature size. Once the seed pod seems to swell, it becomes hard and fibrous, and it sends a signal to the plant, to prevent flowering.
Many of the type which comprises heads, Snap Beans, Green Beans, Scarlet runner beans, Lima beans, asparagus beans, Tepary Beans, Black, Black-eyed Pea, Black Turtle, Broad, Butter, Chickpea, Navy, Pinto, Red, Red Kidney, String, and White.
Pests and disease:
Beans many insect attacks. Though them easily by hand or spray with insecticidal soap may be removed. To avoid this, keep checking regularly.
Many types of beans are affected by the disease, though, to avoid these problems is the use of disease-resistant variety. Each year after harvest of beans must be replaced, which gets rid of fungal diseases. Fungi are plants badly damaged, so it can root die and the plant leaves become yellow. Beans are better in well-drained soils, much moisture creates the ideal environment for fungus.