How to grow Lavender in a container, You can grow Lavender in Containers in the room, in the courtyard or on the terrace, you can change the place according to the weather. You can easily develop herbaceous plants with little care. However, to develop inside the house you will have to make the optimum growing position which is a bit difficult. Because of this if you have to arrange artificial light when there is a lack of sunlight. Nature Bring is giving easy information about How to grow Lavender in a container, Re-pot your lavender plant, Lavender plant care, Problem with Lavender in this article.
Lavender flower is the world famous for its aroma and beauty. It is a native of the arid Mediterranean region. Lavender grows well in any environment, for this, it requires dry air, hot soil, and sunlight.
If your area is too cold, or the soil of your garden is very dense, even if you want to keep Lavender fragrance around your house, then planting it in the container is a good option.
Scientific name Lavandula
Common name Lavender
Plant type Herb
Sun requires Full sun
Soil Rich soil
Blooming time June – August
Soil pH 6.7 and 7.3
How to grow lavender in a container
How to grow lavender in a container, Before planting, it is important to know that they are native inhabitants of the Mediterranean region. Dwarf varieties and Half-Hardy plants are better to plant in the container. A profitable room is required to spread its plant, so choose at least 12 to 16-inch containers. Before planting, check the holes on the surface, as it is necessary for well-drainage.
These plants prefer full sun, heat and dry, so the choice of proper place is necessary before planting them. To plant it, you choose a place where there are more than 8 hours of sunshine. Lavender plant needs water every day.
Choose a container that is slightly larger in size and has a good drainage system. Whenever the water is completely drained from the plant and the soil becomes dry, water it again.
Choose the soil that drains well and plants roots will not become wet. For this you should use sand in the potting soil instead of the direct garden soil, the drainage will remain good, and add 1 teaspoon lime. If the soil is slightly alkaline and chalky, then you can bring intensity to its aroma.
Check the container’s drainage hole before growing the plant, if not, then make the hole. Then lay the surface of the gravel on the surface of the pot, if not gravel, then you can lay the old broken terra cotta containers on the surface. Fill 2/3 potting mixture in the pot, and planting its plant, fill the pot with the remaining soil.
Watering to the plant
After laying the plant, give the water to the soil, and when the water of the soil is completely drained, re-irrigate the plant.
Fertilizer at regular intervals
If you plant in the container, it is important to take care of it regularly. Therefore, give it fertilizer at regular intervals. Lavender is an aromatic plant, give it nitrogen and calcium-rich fertilizers to increase the intensity of its aroma.
Re-pot your lavender plant
When your lavender continues to grow, you need to change its container. Re-pot, it at least once a year. While repotting, you must add a slow-release fertilizer to the potting soil. This is the best time to add fertilizer.
Lavender plant care
- You should establish your plant at such a place where there is a good flow of air and high humidity.
- Once the plant is established it needs very little maintenance. It requires minimum water and pruning.
- To protect against winter, transfer your container. Give less water as needed during this time. Keep the plant out when good moistness comes.
- When the plants become mature and the wood starts to appear, then the pruning needs to be encouraged for the new branches. Spring is the most suitable season of pruning. These plants tend to spread, so pruning is necessary. Read more.
- if you planting you in the pot, so you should take care of air flow, light, and water. This plant requires much less water from November to February. Do not water over the leaves on the cold days. After drying the water completely water the plant again.
- These plants grow in the climate and atmosphere of many different countries, but their care and growing condition are one. read more. Read more.
Problem with Lavender
This is a disease resistant herbaceous plant, so there is usually no type of disease. Yes, sometimes they are invaded by the Alfa Mosaic virus, due to which its leaves become yellow and their shape curls. This virus spreads through your hands and insects, its easy remedy is to uproot the infected plant by using newspaper and throw it.
Also a fungus “phomopsis lavandula” invades lavender stem, and it ends. It is a pandemic that will end your entire crop. Burn the infected plant. Read more.