Snake Plant (Mother-in-Law’s Tongue)
Learn How to grow Snake Plant (Mother-in-Law’s Tongue), Growing Snake plant in pots propagation and more about these houseplants. Snake plants (Sansevieria) are a popular houseplant with the least care. The height of its leaves ranges from one to eight feet. It is also easy to apply for the novice gardener. Snake plants are special because of the leaves, its leaves are like snakes, smoothed, and waxy. Due to its simple nature and less care, there is an attractive gift inside the house and office. This plant can die only by excessive water and the roots are rotten.
Mother-in-Law’s Tongue plant is native to Africa, Madagascar, and Southern Asia, with about 70 different species being found. Primarily its fibers were prized and used to make ropes and baskets.
Overview of Sansevieria
Snake plants are perennials and go up to eight inches – 12 feet high. Like their tongue, long leaves are almost two feet. These dark green leaves have white and yellow stripes. It grows and survives in inappropriate conditions.
Botanical Name Sansevieria trifasciata
Common name Snake plant, mother-in-law’s tongue
Plant type Houseplant
Sun required Full Sun / Part Sun / Shade
Soil Well-drained sandy soil
Soil pH Sl
Bloom time rare
* Snake plants are light toxic, so they should be put in place where small children cannot easily reach. On ingesting, swelling can occur in the throat and tongue and there may be problems in the digestive system.
How to grow Snake Plant
Soil and Location
Snake plants prefer to loose and well-drained sandy soil. Growing in sandy soil, it performs well. It is best to plant cactus potting soil. Keep the system draining out in the pot well. This plant is the easiest care. Sansevieria flourishes well in both sunlight and shadow, but it requires sunlight for 4-5 hours a day to perform well. They grow faster when it comes to contact with sunlight.
Snake plants do best in 60- 85 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. This plant is good in some hot conditions (50 degrees Fahrenheit), the performance is affected at below temperature. Install Sansevieria plants in a place where they can avoid exposure to the draft.
Mother-in-Law’s Tongue plant can easily rot through water, so you should be used well-drained soil. Do not water too much this plant, especially in the days of cold. After drying the surface of the soil, give it water again. This is the reason that these plants do well in sandy soils. Read watering tips.
During the growing season, give light cactus fertilizer to the plant in the pot, it will get benefits. You use a general-purpose slow-speed liquid fertilizer (10-10-10 diluted). Do not fertilize your snake plant in winter.
01. Leaf cuttings
You can easily propagate snake plants with leaf cuttings. Cut 2-3-inch long leaves into sections and put them in the soil and water them regularly. After a few weeks, its roots start growing, after roots matured you can transplant them. It takes a long time to develop this plant with the leaves cutting, if you do not hurry, then this is an easy way.
After some time the snake plant fills the entire container with roots, then you need a re-pot in a large container. Separate the root clump at this time, develop it in another container. This is also the easiest way of propagation.
Snake plants care
- This plant does well in 60 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the performance is affected by temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The plant performs well in the sun for 4-6 hours a day.
- Be sure to water the plant once in the week during spring and summer, the plant starts drying up with too much water.
- Every 3-4 years, re-pop the plant in large containers, the root of this plant is not tied, so do not rush to plant it again.
- If there is too much water, the plant becomes a problem of root rot, so the plant should be well-drained into dry soil.
- Your Sansevieria plant is grown in pots, then you can use a few general-purpose fertilizers. Read more.
Growing Snake plant in pots
- Choose 18 to 20-inch width and deep container, 1/3 large container is right from the root ball. You make a choice of plastic containers, its roots are very aggressive, so your terracotta container can break.
- Before planting in the container, check the drainage hole, if the surface does not hole then do it with the help of tools. If this plant does not have good drainage, then the plant will die due to root rot.
- Choose the fast-draining material to fill in the container. All-purpose cactus potting soil is a better choice. This especially helps in low-watering plants grow stronger.
- Keep the potting soil that contains approximately one inch below the rim. After planting in the container, fill it with the soil around the root ball and press it lightly.
- Now water your plant well and let it dry slightly, then set it on a tray or saucer and take it to the appropriate place in your house, where some sunlight comes. Read more.
Varieties of Snake Plants
Sansevieria has many varieties, which can be identified on the basis of their colors, shapes, and effects.
Sansevieria trifasciata (Hahnii)
This snake plant is about six inches tall. Their leaves are in the flakes and feel the bird’s nest.
BlackJack Sansevieria Plant
BlackJack Snake Plants are a small variety, its leaves are dark green and the edges are colored with gold.
Futura Robusta Sansevieria Plant
The plant of this snake plant is compact, its leaves are dark green and light green-green.
Golden Flame Sansevieria Plant
The new development of the Golden Flame variety is of the golden yellow color. The leaves become faded and rich dark green colors when they immature.
Bantel’s Sensation Sansevieria
It is a popular and patented variety of snake plants whose leaves are thin, dark green, they contain beautifully creamy and white stripes. This type is about 36 inches high, it is easy to develop.
Its leaves are round shape, these are hard leaves that can go up to several feet in length. Its leaves come out of a central crown. Read also.
Read also: How to grow White flowers. Begonia growing and caring guide. Anthurium plant Growing indoors. Growing Croton houseplant in containers. How to grow Bleeding hearts flowers. Best flower for bees and Butterfly gardens. Geranium growing and caring tips. 8 Best Frugal Gardening tips. 09 unique flowers for your garden. Nerve plants growing and caring. Mulberry growing guide. Polka dot plant growing and care guide. Gazania growing in containers. Plumeria growing and caring tips. Houseplants care tips. Pansy flowers growing in pots.