Blueberry (Cyanococcus )
Blueberry plants have a shallow root system, you can easily move them. It does not require a lot of space. This is the reason people can easily grow this popular fruit in their container. These plants grow slowly outside, and it takes several years to grow, with the blueberry bush taking about 10 years to reach its mature size. However, this harvest is worth about 3 years ago. Learn Growing Blueberry in containers, How to grow Blueberry plant, Caring Blueberries, and more about blueberry fruits.
Blueberry fruit is very good and popular. Blueberry fruit contains many nutrients and antioxidants. It is used as a fruit for fresh eating, for making sauces and jams and pancakes, etc. Blueberry bush requires special soil with a low acidic pH, growing in acidic soils that are rich in organic matter. It is found in wooded areas in most parts of North America.
Scientific name Cyanococcus
Common name Blueberry
Plant type Fruit
Sun Full Sun
Harvesting Jul, Aug, Sep.
Soil Sandy/ Acidic
Soil pH 5.0-5.5
Growing Blueberry in containers
- Blueberries like the Full sun and lots of water. Therefore, before growing this, select such places where there is a complete facility of direct sunlight and water so that you can constantly water it. Blueberries are available on the nearby nursery. for plantation, you bring 2 to 3 years old plant.
- Choose a large container for growing blueberry in the pot, initially, you can put it in 12-inch containers. After a little bit grow you put it in a 20-24 inch container.
- The best time to apply blueberries is spring and fall. This season is best for its development.
- To develop this plan, you prepare a mixture of soil instead of ordinary soil. For this, prepare the best mix of 40% peat moss, 40% coir (coconut husk), 20% perlite, and handful sulfur (per plant). Blueberries have the best sandy, acidic soil. The best pH for blueberries is 5.0 to 5.5
- After planting in the container, cover the roots from the soil around the root, then water it well. Give at least 1-inch deep water in the week.
- The exact species of the plant and the size of the container are both important. The smaller varieties of Blueberry bush are best for the container, the better option is the blueberry top hat, which is about 2 feet long.
Caring Blueberry plant
- If you are planting blueberries in the container, then it will have to do more than the prescriptions in the ground, although this is not a big difference.
- Blueberries root zone requires moisture but do not like soggy soils. Its roots develop in a limited area in a container and it dries very quickly.
- Water it regularly in the dry season.
- To maintain moisture in the container requires moisture, use mulch for it.
- Change the soil of the container in every 3 to 4 years and pruning the roots, so that their size in the containers is correct.
Sawdust, rind mulch, grass clippings, and acid tripe, etc. are best for its Mulching. Because these plants are shallow roots, due to which they need to get nutrients. Mulching of 2 to 4 inches is good for this which should be changed every year.
Watering contentiously in the container. Therefore it requires regular water during the summer season. On the surface to maintain moisture, you can add a 1-inch thick layer of mulch.
Blueberry plants require annual pruning. It’s pruning is good in early spring. By pruning regularly the plant gets stronger and helps in developing new branches. Immediately prune any development from the surface, remove any dead branch, it Obstructed the development of blueberry.
The use of slow-release acid fertilizer is good for it. Avoid the dependence of fertilizer, because the blueberry root fertilizers are sensitive to salt injuries. Apply the slow release acid fertilizers 4 weeks after planting the first year. During the growing season the spring through mid-summer when these plants are more active, use slow-release fertilizers once in two weeks.
The blueberry bush is self-pollinated. And if you have more than one plant for cross-pollination, you can produce better. You choose the species which is overlapping the flowering time. ‘Sunshine Blue’ blueberry is automatically pollinated.
Once the blueberry fruits are a deep blue, and easily come into the hands when picking, it means that it is ready for harvesting. Before harvesting the fruit, leave it for some days on the tree so that you can get delicious berries.
Blueberries are partly self-pollinated, so you can cultivate more blueberries by planting two or more trees. You can also hamper crop season by putting more varieties. Top hat, Chippewa, Northcountry, Northblue, Misty and Sunshine Blue is main Varieties.
Pests and disease
Birds, Blueberry Maggot, etc. Insects make it bother. Powdery Mildew is its common disease.
Read also: How to grow Crossandra flower. How to grow Ridge Gourd at home. Growing Peach in containers. Growing and caring Rosemary. Pointed gourd growing and caring tips. 8 Frugal Gardening tips. 11 Best Winter flower for your garden. Garden Phlox growing and caring tips. Daffodil growing and caring tips. Fuchsia’s growing and caring tips. Houseplants care tips. Oregano growing guide. Rubber tree plants care tips. Golden barrel cactus growing guide.