Cucumber is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family. It is a creeping vine that bears cylindrical fruits that are used as culinary vegetables. Learn How to grow cucumber in pots, growing cucumber, cucumber varieties, and Health Benefits and more about this plant. It is suitable for the container to grow and easy to care.
Under the different types of climate in the world, cucumbers are cultivated. The fruit is dark green in color and crispy. It has low-calorie content as many as nutritional benefits including hydrating properties.
With a little care, you can grow it in your own patio or garden. This is a wonderful crop of spring. You can sow its seeds directly in hot climatic zones in your own gardens
The following two things always you remember
- To always produce cucumbers keep moist will increase production.
- Always produce cucumbers in Vertical gardens scheme to increases yields, because the cucumber is equipped with vine will help to develop it. Additionally, you will find clean fruit that will come above the ground.
Soil and location
These plants need warm, fertile soil with a pH of 0.6 to 6.8, although they will tolerate a bit more alkaline soil to 7.6. Work compost or composted manure into the soil. Plant seedlings 36 to 60 inches apart, depending on the variety. Cucumber requires heat and lots of sunlight, so select the place where the full sun is present.
Set these plants around 18 inches apart, so that you can easily use support like a trellis. And if you want to spread on the surface of the ground, keep about three feet apart.
It is a tropical vegetable and does well in hot weather and plenty of water. For growing weather, cucumbers are cultivated, they can keep the soil temperature up to 70 degrees in your garden.
This plant requires frequent water, the quantity of water is low and the yield is affected. Regular water is not feasible, then give water in depth (at least one inch) once a week.
Before planting cucumber, mix the soil with plenty of organic compost, of course, the cucumber plant will not need fertilizer again. When cucumber flowers and fruits come in, start giving it water-soluble compost for better production. Read more.
How to grow cucumbers in pots
- It is very easy to grow in the container. If you live in a cold environment then you can start them indoors. But it requires enough light.
- Start its seeds in late May. Fill the container with growing medium and transplant the indoor plant.
- 10 to the 12-inch container is sufficient. Its plants prefer moisture, so keep the compost normally moist.
- Its seeds are tall and therefore should be planted to 1/2 to 1-inch depth.
- There is a need to water carefully after planting.
- This requires support so train the main stem up, use vertically wired or cane for support.
- Keep the humidity high by watering. After planting, the balanced liquid fertilizers feed every two weeks. Read also.
Main varieties of cucumber
There are three main varieties 1. slicing 2. pickling, and 3. burpless. Cucumbers are usually more than 90% of water. It is easy to grow.
- Bush variety It grows in half the compact and bush form
- Vining variety They grow in long vines that move on the ground or on some support.
We are discussing some easy and fast-growing varieties.
It is parthenocarpic, which produces fruit naturally or artificially without the fertilization of the ovary, the fruits that come in it will be seedless. It takes about 58 days to mature.
Its fruits are yellow and small. The fruit taste is sweet and comes round. It takes approximately 65 days to mature.
This is also a small and sweet fruit. It quickly ripens and takes about 48 days to mature.
Pests and Diseases
The major insects that attack the cucumbers cucumber beetles, aphids and spider mites seek damages. These diseases most losses stem from a plant. The cucumber beetles can damage the plant.
Powdery mildew: On the surface of the leaf white powder appears. And its leaves become undeveloped and shrinking and carry the disease to other plants.
This food is low in Saturated Fat and very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin A, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Potassium.
Like other vegetables when cucumber is young it will be ready for delicious food. This time is proper for harvesting. That will deserve for salad. Harvest the fruit early in the morning before the sun. The help of the knife you cut the fruits easily and save damage to vines. When the top of the fruit is yellow you should immediately separate because the different taste is such fruit and seeds falls in it. Read more.
Health benefits cucumber
- It is a perfect food to have on hand during the hot summer months to prevent s abdomen problem.
- Cucumber has a cooling and soothing effect that decreases swelling, irritation, and inflammation.
- Its cure diabetes and controls cholesterol from our body. Cucumber has low-calorie content.
- It helps to increase the strength of tissue and reduce the joint pain.
- Its cure hangover and headache.
Read also: How to grow Potato in a container. Growing cauliflower in containers. Christmas Cactus growing and caring. Spring onion growing and caring. Hibiscus Flower growing and caring. Growing Petunias in the container. 7 splendid Climbing Plants. 8 Mosquito Repellent plants. Container gardening. Cantaloupes growing and caring tips. Sweet corn growing guide. About us. Plumeria Growing and caring tips. Growing Anthurium plant indoors. Mulberry tree growing at home. Celery growing and caring guide. Coriander Growing and care in containers.