Learn about Growing papaya tree, How to grow papaya in a container, Pollination of the papaya plant, Papaya tree care, Dwarf Papaya Varieties, from our article. The papaya tree growing inside in Sunny room is an enjoyable result, this is a fast-growing tree, its magnificent ornamental leaves are bright and large in size.
Its trees are straight and tall, which looks like an umbrella. The papaya plant does not require pruning. Keep in warm and sunny places in the tropics, if you move from indoor to outdoor, it should be protected from strong winds.
Dwarf papaya means a tree that is less than 10 feet in height, although there are many varieties of papaya that grow to 3 to 5 feet in height. If you want to plant in tropical and subtropical areas, this is an ideal option. With a little care, you can grow it successfully, and get fruit in every season.
Overview of Papaya
Scientific name Carica papaya
Common name Papaya
Plant type Fruit
Sun requires Full Sun
Soil rich well-drained soil
Soil pH 6-6.5
Growing papaya tree
The selection of suitable places for indoor papaya is necessary. With the help of a trolley, completely move the tree to a place where the sunlight comes continuously. Dwarf papaya requires a lot of sunlight, so keep it in places where strong sunlight is present. I think the best place is a greenhouse, porch or a room where good light can be found. To avoid unusual growth of the tree, you rotate the plant every week.
The rich soil of papaya is considered most suitable, which is full of organic matter. It’s completely dry soil, whose drainage is better, it eliminates the risk of root rot. Do not use dense clay, separate the pebble stone before using soil. Papaya always performs well in deep soil. For this, the depth of one meter is suitable for the development and production point, to avoid waterlogging make a depth of 0.5 meters.
How to grow papaya in a container
- It is easy to plant with seeds, but you can also plant it by buying it from a nursery.
- If you want to grow a plant in a pot, you first choose at least 20 inches wide and 15 inches deep containers, check whether this is the drainage hole or not, if not, with the help of any tools Hole it.
- Spread the surface of the gravel on the lower surface of the pot. Pottery always requires rich soil, so make a mixture of potting soil and perlite. Fill this mixture in the pot.
- The water generously in the soil, and plant it at a depth of 1/2 inches. Wait for germination of the seed, it takes 8 to 9 weeks for germination.
- Select a large container to grow a plant attached to the nursery, which is about 3 times bigger than the root ball.
- Place the container in the appropriate place. After the container plantation becomes heavier, it is inconvenient to shift.
- Fill it lightly by mixing the perlite with the potting soil. Make a pit little bigger than the root ball, after placing the plant in it, fill the extra potting mix all around and close the pit.
- Make another pit next to the Root Ball. Insert Slow Release Balance Fertilizer in the Other Pits.
- Water the plant well, give it water every 3 to 4 days to avoid excess moisture and soggy.
- To maintain moisture, make the layer of mulch all around the tree. Make stable temperatures near tree roots.
- Feed the tree soluble fertilizer every 3 to 4 weeks, the 10-10-10 formula is best for this. In which it will get the equivalent amount of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate. Please read the instructions written on it before feeding any fertilizer tree.
The dwarf papaya plant is necessary for observation of temperature to grow indoor; it grows very well at 75 degrees Fahrenheit, so keep the room temperature constant, if the temperature becomes cool due to some reason then you can set it under the plant heating pad. Keep the tree out in the summer days, and if the outside temperature is below 65 degrees, take it immediately inside the house. Dwarf likes the sunlight, so do not get worried at the outside warm temperatures. Find it more.
Pollination of the papaya plant
If you are going to develop a plant, then some information is also important; if the information is incomplete, then the tree planted by you may not give results. All types of trees are found in males, females, and both sexes. The Male tree does not produce fruit, female trees are required for pollination for the male tree. Most of its varieties produce flowers on both male and female plants. Bisexual permits self-pollination, these plants do not require male plants.
Papaya tree Varieties
“Solo”, this stuff produces fruits and sizes, this type is popular for commercial production.
“Kapoho” is a second species that is grown in Puna district. It has red-orange flesh and big fruit.
“Sunrise” is an international variety, which is marketed abroad.
Papaya tree care
- This tree does not need much water. During the dry and hot weather, it should give water once a week, but the plant in the container requires more water.
- This tree needs fertilization during the Growing Season. Add fertilizer to good manure in September, even in November it needs more manure. After this add a bucket of fertilizer in January.
- These trees do not require much pruning, but you can prune it on top so that the length of the tree will short. Read more.
- The problem of black leaf spot disease is easily found in papaya trees. For this, the agricultural extension officer can contact.
Read Also: 7 easy growing Purple Vegetable. Papaya and its Health Benefits. Watermelon in containers. How to grow Christmas Cactus. How to grow Spring Onion in containers. Beautiful aromatic Magnolia flowers growing and caring. Growing Gerbera Daisies in containers. How to grow Peach in containers. The growing Pear tree in pots. Coriander’s growing and caring guide. Watermelon growing guide. Peanuts growing in containers. Growing Anthurium in pots. 9 Easy growing Herbs for beginners.