Growing Petunias | How to grow and care of Petunia plant, Growing Petunia flower, etc are some such information that you can find abundant petunia flowers in your garden. Petunias approximately 35 species are known, they are native to South America. Most gardeners use petunia for attractive landscape lanes in their gardens. Petunia is easy to grow where you get sunlight. In the form of doors, sides, containers, hanging baskets and flower beds these are ideal plants.
Overview of Petunia flower
Scientific name Petunia x atkinsiana
Common name Petunia
Plant type Flower
Sun required Full Sun
Soil Rich soil
Flower color Pink, White, Purple, Red, Yellow
Bloom time Spring, Summer, Fall
- It is the most popular flowering plant and appears in almost every garden. The petunia plant is grown annually.
- Petunias in the growing well in the hardiness zones are 9 to 11, plants are herbaceous and usually hairy.
- Its flowers are funnel-shaped, and the petals are joined. Fruit capsules contain many micro seeds.
- You grow this plant anywhere, where the sun comes directly, you can grow it as a courtyard, terrace garden, hanging garden, or groundcover.
- Many people place windows, doors, or garden entrances to make the landscape attractive.
Growing petunia plant by seeds
- You can easily grow Petunia plant by seed, the plant is easy to transplant.
- Its seeds that you start 10 to 12 weeks before the beginning of early spring. In the northern climate, you can apply in March.
- Plant seeds are very small and require more light for germination.
- When comes the three leaves of the plant then water, and it can be plantation outside.
- If you transplant purchased the plant, keep the plant in well-drained soil, after the last spring frost in full sunlight.
- This flower can tolerate partial shade, but you will get fewer flowers, these plants open air is even better.
- It should be 1 foot of space apart from the plants.
- If you’re going to grow it in the container you use a soil-less mix. The soilless mix is a mixture of peat moss, coir, compost, and sand.
How to Grow Petunias
Soil and location
Petunias need good soil to grow but do not have to be very rich. The soil should be well-drained, if there is garden soil then improve using organic material, such as peat moss, compost, etc.
The petunia plant prefers direct sunlight. It is absolutely necessary for blooming flowers. Plants require 5 to 6 hours of regular sunlight. Though they tolerate shade, they seem to have fewer flowers.
Check the soil in the container every day. Soak the soil well and then allow the soil dry before re-entering the water. If the soil is moister, so should not water it may cause many problems, including rot and mildew, will be. Watering the base of the Plant so as to keep leaves dry to prevent moisture.
After a week gave a water-soluble fertilizer to your Petunias, it increases the power of bloom. When using fertilizer must read the instructions given by the manufacturer.
- Always cut flowers and use it for decoration, as cutting the flowers that encourage blooms.
- Remove it immediately after the flowers fade, this is the beginning of the wilt. Prevent plants from developing premature seeds. It encourages blooming, and flowers look fresh, healthy, and ready for a long time.
- 4 to 6 inches cutting petunias when the plant is in bloom for a long time, or feeling tired. It will be good in mid-summer, after pruning the plant must fertilize.
The height of the Petunias plant is about 6 inches, but it spreads very rapidly and covers the entire field in no time. Petunia regularly requires water and fertilizer. This plant is perfect for hillside gardening. it is suitable to plant for box gardening, flower bed gardening, and hanging baskets. Read more.
It is divided into four different veracities based on the floral shape and walking habit.
Grandiflora Petunias are the most popular; the flowers grow 3 to 4 Inches. These flowers are either single or double Ruffly occur. Due to the trend in the abundance of bloom, they are most suitable for the container and hanging basket. But for the plant to grow outside, it has to make 15-inch-long, straight-mound in the summer. Read more.
These flowers are relatively more compact, multiflora is smaller than Grandiflora Forms are available in single or double flowers, but a large majority are Singles. When a big splash in the garden they together.
These are small plants. The small flowers are 1 inch or 1.5-inch diameter. These plants produce abundant flowers is spreading. These are the perfect plants to create garden edging. They can grow in containers mixed with other annual plants.
Growing petunia in a container
- Care is very easy in the container of Petunia Flowers.
- For the Petunias, you choose a pot of 12 “and do not plant more than 3 plants in a pot. Do not collect the crowd in the container.
- The plant soil in the containers is very hot and starts drying, the plant needs water to dry the spell, However, these are especially hot and drought harsh.
- You keep your container in a place where sunlight comes directly. This plant is better for its blooming at least 8 hours in the sunlight.
- Well-drainage is necessary for plants engaged in the container, so before planting, make sure that the container has drainage holes or not.
- Provide longer and slower drinks in the container for a few days intervals. Petunias are heavy feeders, apply the slow-release fertilizer at the time of planting.
- If you see the plant flag or leggy, fertilize it. Read more.
- They prefer rich soil, loose soil that drains well. However, they tolerate poor soil.
- Add normal fertilizer a planting time, and again a month after planting.
- Users always balance fertilizer (8-8-8 or 10-10-10) for the Petunias plant. When the weather is changing (in early July), use liquid fertilizer. Do you do this every three weeks; it will help the plant to bloom.
Pests and diseases
If Petunias puckers leaves turn yellow, then to check for aphids. The soft and tender pear-shaped body, they cluster and new dark blue stems, they suck juices from new petunias. However, it goes away from the spray of insecticidal soap. Occasionally it is damaged by caterpillars, the petunia plant is also affected by leaf spots or viruses.
You must see unique varieties Petunia “Black Velvet”
Read also: Prince’s flowers growing in containers. Poppies growing and care tips. 9 Easy growing Herb for your garden. Peartree growing in containers. How to grow Vinca flowers. Growing Yesterday, today and tomorrow plant. Chickpeas growing and care tips. Coreopsis Growing Tickseed. How to Grow Love-in-a-Mist plants. 10 splendid plants for Flowerbed gardening. Aster flowers growing guide.